Avocado Vinaigrette is a classic traditional entrée which is so simple to prepare but a very delicious way to enjoy avocados. The only important factors for this so easy to prepare starter is that the avocado should be just ripe and that the vinaigrette does not taste like acetic acid, too acidic and tangy.
Memories – No anchovies for me please!
I remember when some old classic restaurant in Mombasa would serve Avocado Vinaigrette as a starter/entrée. Mostly, there wouldn’t be a suitable vegetarian starter except for Avocado Vinaigrette. Though labelled as vegetarian, it would have anchovies! Most restaurant owners do not understand that when you are a vegetarian it includes no fish! “But fish is vegetarian Ma’am” is the answer I would get. But as we became regulars at some of the restaurants they knew that it was no anchovies for me.
Nowadays it is difficult to find some traditional dishes on a restaurant menu. New starters have replaced them. So whenever I feel like enjoying Avocado Vinaigrette I simply make it at home.
What is Vinaigrette?
Vinaigrette is simply a sauce or dressing which comprises of an oil, vinegar and seasonings. The addition of herbs or type of seasoning sets them apart from each other. Sometimes the vinegar is replaced by fresh lemon juice. So basically in an Avocado Vinaigrette, the dressing is poured over half cut avocado or poured in the scoop or cavity of the avocado from where the seed has been removed.
Normally, for a good vinaigrette it is 3 parts of oil to 1 part vinegar or lemon juice. Which oil you use also alters the flavor. I like to use olive oil. On occasions I’ve used infused oils if available.
So coming back to how Avocado Vinaigrette was served in some of the restaurants in Mombasa, because they didn’t add anchovies for me, finely chopped onion and tomato was added. That definitely added a special flavour. Omit of you don’t want to add them. But I love it. Actually, I leave the finely chopped onion and tomato in the vinaigrette for at least an hour or more so that the flavors are infused.
Some More Recipes With Avocado:
- Enjoy a crunchy and creamy Snap Peas and Avocado Salad
- Apple Avocado Quinoa Salad is perfect as a light meal
- Chilli Avocado Chocolate Cake is totally vegan
- Cool off with a nice thick yogurt drink – Avocado Mint Lassi
- Have tried using Avocado as a Salad Dressing? Its so yummy, check out Black Bean and Corn Salad with Avocado Dressing
- This Avocado and Nut Bread makes a perfect sandwich bread
- Enjoy a refined sugar free pudding – Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- I love this salad – Mango Avocado Salad
- Here is a pasta salad with avocado – Avocado Mushroom Pasta Salad
- A delicious starter or to serve with a soup – Mashed Avocado and Tomato Bruschetta
- Perfect for BBQ or Garden Party – Roasted Potato and Avocado Salad
- A refreshing and filling salad – Avocado Beetroot Salad
- Check out Renu’s Vegan No Bake Avocado Cheese Cake
THE GROUP FOODIES _ REDOING OLD POSTS
The Group Foodies_Redoing Old Posts, started by Renu helps the members to make an effort to update old posts. This group has helped me so far to focus on posts that need redoing. Avocado Vinaigrette post required some updating with photos and the write up. Have no idea why it has taken me so long to take new photos. I live in a country where avocados are available in abundance and some can actually be the size of a small papaya!
Updated on 11/06/2021. First Published on 19/06/2012
Ingredients Required For Avocado Vinaigrette
- Avocado – must be firm but ripe and not all mushy. Cut the avocado into half and remove the seed. Immediately rub some lemon juice over it so that it does not turn black. The tip is to cut the avocado just before serving.
- Vinegar – use a good quality vinegar. I like to use wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or even balsamic vinegar. If you don’t have good quality vinegar then use fresh lemon juice.
- Fresh Herb – any of your choice, you need very little. I sometimes add finely chopped coriander, mint or basil.
- Virgin Olive Oil – or any flavored oil of your choice.
- Salt – I’ve used Pink Himalayan Salt, use any of your choice.
- Pepper – freshly ground pepper
- Fresh Tomato, small – finely chopped, will need very little
- Onion, small – peeled and finely chopped. Use red, white or yellow. Can also use spring onions if you want to.
- Gluten free
- To enjoy on a Fasting Day, omit onion and use lemon juice.
- Vegetarian Starter
- 1 large avocado ripe
- 1/2 small tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp mint /coriander /basil finely chopped
- 1 tsp good quality vinegar/lemon juice
- 3 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- Chop the tomato and onion finely. Mix together in a bowl.
- Add the chopped herbs and pepper.
- Whisk vinegar, oil and salt very well.
- Add this to the tomato onion mixture. Mix well. At this stage you can leave the vinaigrette covered in the fridge for 1 hour to allow the flavours to infuse. Or else use immedaitely.
- Cut the avocado into half. Remove the seed.
- Spoon the mixture into each half of the avocado and serve.
- Serve on its own or with a slice of toasted bread.
- If you need to serve this dish as a starter to guests, you can keep the tomato mixture ready in advance in the fridge but do not add the salt. Add salt just before serving.
- If you are working with more avocados, then brush each half with lemon juice to prevent it from turning black.
- Instead of onion or shallot can use spring onions, chopped finely.
- Can add a tsp of finely chopped walnuts or pine nuts for an extra special treat. Remember to toast them slightly in a pan.
- For chilli lovers, add finely chopped green chillis at your risk.
- As a tummy filler for ekadashi day, omit the onions. Can add chopped olives.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
May 1, 2012 at 3:10 pm
Oh mummy! This looks so yummy!
June 21, 2021 at 2:53 pm
Avocado Vinaigrette looks so Delish. Wonderful dressing with so simple ingredients. Would love to try it sometime.
June 22, 2021 at 11:10 am
Thank you so much Preethi. Try it as it is also quite filling.
June 21, 2021 at 11:18 pm
WoW! I love avocado and this classic traditional starter to enjoy it anytime. This looks so simple and very easy to prepare salad. YUM
June 22, 2021 at 11:07 am
Thank you Jolly, it is a very easy recipe but so delicious, try it out.
June 22, 2021 at 1:53 pm
Avocado Vinaigrette looks so good and easy to make. I do not get many of these things in my area, I hope I get avocados soon. Hope to try it soon.
June 22, 2021 at 9:15 pm
Thanks Jayashree, yes it is difficult to get avocado in India.
June 22, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Such a delicious and flavourful dish with simple ingredients. This avocado vinaigrette packs a punch!!
June 22, 2021 at 9:14 pm
Thank you so much Sowmya.
June 23, 2021 at 9:06 am
Wow! Such a delicious and yummy appetiser. This Avocado vinaigrette is something i will love to try soon. I guess I will make a meal out of it! 😀
June 23, 2021 at 12:22 pm
Thank you so much Archana, yes it definitely can be enjoyed as a light meal.
June 23, 2021 at 10:59 am
that’s some seriously delish collection of Avo recipes there, Mayuri. The first few avo has just begun to come in here, and this vinaigrette would be a great way to use them up !
June 23, 2021 at 12:21 pm
June 23, 2021 at 5:57 pm
I have never tried avocado vinaigrette but this sounds interesting. this started can be enjoyed with any meal and it is a good way to include avocado into diet.
June 25, 2021 at 12:53 pm
Thanks Amrita, it definitely is a good way to include avocado in one’s diet.
June 23, 2021 at 6:07 pm
A delicious way to enjoy Avocado, this recipe is certainly for keeps. I have never heard of this, but your description is so awesome that I am drooling here.
Fabulous recipe Mayuri for avocado lover like me.
June 25, 2021 at 12:52 pm
Thank you so much Lata.
June 24, 2021 at 4:25 am
Such a simple and delcious Avocado recipe. I never thought of this way of eating avocados. Looks easy and delicious. Thanks!
June 25, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Thank you so much Uma, as I mentioned it is a classic recipe which modern restaurants don’t feature on their menus.
June 24, 2021 at 9:01 pm
Avocado Vinaigrette sounds like a flavorful appetizer! The recipe also sounds pretty simple and easy to follow.
June 25, 2021 at 12:49 pm
Thanks Poonam, its the easiest recipe 🙂
Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey
June 24, 2021 at 11:54 pm
Just had avocado salad for my dinner as currently on a low-carb diet, avocado vinaigrette sounds so good, more than happy to devour. So simple yet packed with flavours.
June 25, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Thank you Hayley, do try it out. Tastes so good with balsamic vinegar too.
June 25, 2021 at 6:09 pm
Wow, what a delicious way to serve avocado. Love that vinaigrette recipe – so easy and so flavorful. Will be making this very soon.
June 25, 2021 at 11:33 pm
Thank you so much Pavani, enjoy when you tryout the recipe.
June 25, 2021 at 9:14 pm
This is such a simple yet so flavorful avocado vinaigrette. I love the way you served them inside the avocados. It would definitely make a wonderful snack and when avocado will come into your mouth it would be so amazing.
June 25, 2021 at 11:33 pm
Thank you so much Sapana.
Rafeeda – The Big Sweet Tooth
June 25, 2021 at 11:52 pm
This avocado vinaigrette is such a simple yet flavorful and filling… Avocado is a dicey vegetable but still when well can be really amazing…
June 26, 2021 at 12:50 am
Thanks Rafeeda, I agree with you avocado is a dicey fruit but when we get a good one, it is amazing.
June 26, 2021 at 2:51 pm
I like the way you served the vinaigrette in avocado. I sprinkled it on slices of avocado and it was so delicious. It was my snack. last evening.
June 26, 2021 at 4:59 pm
Thank you so much Usha. It does make a delightful snack.
June 26, 2021 at 4:38 pm
Avocado vinaigrette !!! This sounds so simple yet much flavorful vinaigrette. A perfect appetizer it is sure!
The way you served those inside the avocado looks so beautiful
June 26, 2021 at 7:01 pm
Thanks Sasmita, the vinaigrette is usually served that way for the avocado vinaigrette.
June 29, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Never heard of Avocado vinaigrette before but it sounds interesting. The recipe sounds easy too. Will try this soon.
June 29, 2021 at 5:27 pm