Mashed Avocado & Tomato Bruschetta
Recipe: Mashed Avocado & Tomato Bruschetta
Mashed Avocado Tomato Bruschetta is a delicious, easy to make, refreshing and healthy appetizer or starter. Small bread slices are topped with garlicky mashed avocado and chopped tomatoes, onion and fresh herb of your choice. The combination of avocado, tomato, onion and garlic is simply awesome. A refreshing bruschetta to enjoy as a starter, appetizer, snack or with some soup.
What Type Of Bread To Use For Bruschetta?
Any actually, as long as the slices are not too thin. The slices should be at least ½ inch thick so it holds the topping and does not get soggy quickly. Also the crumb should be good with a decent crust. I like to use baguette, ciabatta, sourdough. Traditionally in Italy they use pagnotta bread. Cut the baguette at a slant to get bigger slices. To make bruschetta I usually try and buy a rather fat or plump baguette.
What Is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta is a popular Italian starter /appetizer dish. Bruschetta originates from the word bruscare which translates as “to roast over coals.”The bread slices are toasted lightly and not to a crispy texture. One should easily be able to bite into the slice. If you’re going to crank your BBQ this summer, then lightly toast the bread slices over it. Or bake it in the oven. These days you have the option of using the airfryer too. I use my toaster. So much easier without getting my kitchen too hot during the hot season.
A Variety Of Toppings
While the traditional bruschetta topping is basically a clove of garlic rubbed over the hot slices, a drizzle of olive oil and tomatoes, these days you’ll find a huge variety. My favourite is Watermelon Bruschetta. I must admit, that bruschetta is not just for summer season in my house. We enjoy it during the cold season too with hot soup. That is when I like to serve Bruschetta topped with onion, tomato, herbs and a bit of parmesan cheese.
On the list to try out is fresh basil, strawberries with balsamic glaze. The other one is mushrooms and feta.
Basically, you can change the fruit, the cheese, the drizzle and the bruschetta becomes a game changer, from simple to exotic.
How To Serve Mashed Avocado & Tomato Bruschetta
- Add the mashed avocado and topping and serve immediately. If you leave the topping on for too long, it will make the bread slices soggy.
- Serve toasted slices, mashed avocado and the topping separately, especially if it for parties or picnics. Everyone can help themselves.
- During BBQ parties, your guests can toast and add the toppings themselves. It is fun and informal.
Ingredients Required For Mashed Avocado & Tomato Bruschetta
- Bread Slices – baguette, ciabatta, sourdough, etc.
- Avocado – peeled and mashed.
- Lemon Or Lime Juice – to add to the mashed avocado.
- Olive oil – for brushing on the bread slices.
- Garlic – to add some to the avocado and also in the olive oil.
- Green Chilli – paste. Optional, to add a bit of a kick.
- Salt – add according to your taste.
- Black Pepper Powder – add according to your taste.
- Tomato – finely chopped. Remove the pulp to avoid the mixture from getting all watery. Use the pulp for soups, curries, etc.
- Onion – use any of your preference, white, red, yellow. Peel and chop finely.
- Fresh Herb – use any of your choice. I like basil, mint, oregano, thyme.
- Olives – any of your choice, sliced.
MASHED AVOCADO & TOMATO BRUSCHETTA
FOR THE MASHED AVOCADO:
- 1 medium avocado about 1 cup mashed
- 1 tbsp lemon/lime juice
- 1 clove garlic crushed or minced
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼-½ tsp green chilli paste optional
FOR THE TOMATO MIXTURE:
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive slices
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp coarse pepper powder
- some fresh herbs basil, thyme,oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- 12 slices bread
PREPARATION OF THE MASHED AVOCADO:
- Peel and mash the avocado with a masher or a fork. You want to leave it a bit chunky and not make it too smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the avocado and mix. Keep it in the fridge till required.
PREPARATION OF THE TOMATO MIXTURE:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
PREPARATION OF BRUSCHETTA:
- Toast the slices of bread in the oven, under the grill or in a toaster till it turns slightly brown but is still soft.
- Mix olive oil and minced garlic.
- Brush the olive oil over the hot slices.
- Spread a bit of the mashed avocado on to each slice.
- Top it with the tomato mixture.
- Serve immediately.
- Good as a party starter. Leave the avocado and tomato mixture on the side. Guests can help themselves.
- To prepare the tomato mixture ahead, don't add the salt otherwise the mixture will become watery. Add before serving.
- Use fresh herbs of your choice.
Make sure the bread slices are not toasted till they become too crispy or hard.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
add a comment below,
send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962