spicy cucumber and carrot salad
five vegetables a day
Ten servings of fruits and vegetables a day is what is recommended as a part of an ideal meal plan. That gets one thinking that if I am suppose to eat all those veggies and fruits then when do I eat the rest? The rest I mean the yummy stuff like breads, rice, cakes, muffins etc. Its pretty simple, have a salad everyday and it will take care of your 5-6 servings of vegetables and fruits. Today this salad recipe does take care of at least five. My blog will feature a lot of salad recipes because that’s a part of our meal everyday. I have included coriander leaves as a vegetable as one should not underestimate its health benefits. A cleansing agent, rich in iron, magnesium, an antioxidant, reduces flatulent are just some of the reasons why you should have coriander leaves. In some stores it is sold as cilantro. The spicy and tangy flavours all make this an interesting salad, one that you can have a meal on its own. Refreshing and healthy, go on try it.
SPICY CUCUMBER AND CARROT SALAD
1 cup of carrot sticks
1 cup of cucumber sticks
1 small red or white onion cut thinly lengthwise
1/2 cup of chopped fresh coriander
4-6 any type of lettuce leaves
1/4 cup of roasted and roughly chopped peanuts
tamarind dressing :
1 clove of garlic crushed
2 tbsp of tamarind sauce( thick and not watery)
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp sugar or honey
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
salt to taste
- Put all the vegetables in a bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.
- Tamarind sauce is available in most indian shops. If not, then you can make it at home. Put the tamarind in a pan, cover it with water and let it boil gently till it becomes soft. Let it cool for a while. Remove the stones and fibrous bits. Put it in a blender and liquidize it. Add a bit more water if necessary. Sieve the mixture. Keeps well in the freezer.
- Use sesame oil sparingly as it has a strong flavour.
- Adjust the amount of chilli flakes according to your taste.
- Can prepare the salad ahead and leave it in the fridge. Just add the dressing before serving.
- Can use spring onion if you don’t get coriander leaves.