Witches’ Finger Breadsticks
Recipe: Witches’ Finger Breadsticks
What are Witches’ Finger Breadsticks?
Simply put Witches’ Finger Breadsticks are breadsticks that are shaped into witches’ fingers. These make a fun, spooky Halloween party treat, easy to make and healthy too. These breadsticks are not crispy and crunchy like the more famous Italian breadsticks or grissini. They are more like soft bread. Usually enjoyed with a dip.
You may be wondering why amid Navratri Festival I’m talking about witches’ fingers. Well, Swathi Iyer who blogs at Zesty South Indian Kitchen suggested that we make some Halloween treats as a group. I jumped at the idea as till now I don’t have a spooky Halloween treat post on my blog. This event has given me the chance.
Halloween and Me
As such Halloween is not a big festival in Kenya. You may hear about and occasional Halloween Party, or kids put on costumes and have a party. Having said that, we had to teach the kids about all different festivals in school and Halloween is no different. I remember a week before Halloween the school would get all geared up with creepy, funny and spooky artwork. With my 5-6 year old class kids, we would make ghosts, witch faces, pumpkins, black cats and all sorts of Halloween stuff.
Some Halloween Treats to Check out:
Delicious with Spooky Eyes, check out Swathi’s Monster Eye Cookie Bars.
Spicy Pumpkin Bread Rolls, shaped like pumpkins
Brambrack – a sweet Irish bread that is usually served during Halloween Night
How I decided on Witches’ Finger Breadsticks
This year I was very much looking forward to spending Halloween, Thanksgiving, Diwali, Christmas and New Year with my son in Canada. However, I guess God has other plans as we cannot travel due to the Covid Pandemic. I was looking forward to using all those spooky candies in my desserts and bakes. I guess that plan has been shelved for now. Considering that we don’t get much Halloween Paraphernalia, I decided on Witches’ Finger Cookies. However, I forgot to order butter and didn’t have enough so changed the plan to breadsticks. I’m glad I made Witches’ Finger Breadsticks as we enjoyed them with a dip. Next day enjoyed the leftovers with some soup.
Ingredients Required for Witches’ Finger Breadsticks
- Flour – I used both wheat and all purpose flours. You need the flour for the dough and also a bit extra for dusting. You can use only all purpose flour if you wish.
- Yeast – I’ve used instant dry active yeast. You can use dry active yeast but you will need to ferment it before adding to the flour. Instant one you add directly to the flour. Take ¼ cup warm water. Add sugar and mix. Sprinkle the yeast over the water, mix well. Cover for 10 minutes or till the mixture becomes frothy.
- Olive oil – for brushing, add to the flour and also for greasing the trays.
- Salt – I used sea salt. Use any of your choice.
- Dry Mixed Herbs – or any herbs of your choice.
- Garlic Powder – for flavouring.
- Chili Flakes – optional.
- Sugar – any of your choice. I used normal refined sugar.
- Warm water – to form the dough.
- Almonds – whole almonds for the witches’ nails.
- Chilli Sauce or Tomato Sauce – use tomato sauce if preparing it for kids. The sauce not gives the red ‘blood’ look but also helps to stick the almond to the dough so that it does not fall off during baking.
- Kids Friendly Food
WITCHES' FINGER BREADSTICKS
FOR THE BREADSTICK DOUGH:
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup all pupose flour
- 2 tsp instant active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ -1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ - 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dry mixed herbs
- 1¼ cup warm water
- 24 Almonds whole
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce or tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- olive oil extra for greasing
- flour extra for dusting
- PREPARATION OF THE BREADSTICK DOUGH:
- Mix flours, salt, herbs, sugar, chilli flakes and garlic powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add yeast and mix well.
- Add oil and rub into the flour.
- Add water and bring the flour together to form a dough.
- Dust the worktop with some flour.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes till it becomes smooth.
- Shape into a ball. Place in the greased bowl. Rub oil over the dough.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel or a lid. Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
SHAPING THE WITCHES' FINGERS:
- Dust the worktop with some flour.
- Grease two baking trays with some olive oil or line them with parchment paper.
- Put the dough on the worktop.
- Roll it out into a rectangle of about 6" X 24"
- Using a pizza cutter cut the rectangle into 24 strips each about 1 inch wide.
- Or you can divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll each into a finger.
- Arrange the fingers on the prepared trays about an inch apart. Make sure you shape the tips to resemble finger tips. For the knbby knuckle look twist the dough as though you want to tie a knot.
- Brush the fingers with olive oil.
- Brush the tips lightly with some sauce.
- Press an almond at the tip with the pointed side away from the dough.
- Allow the fingers to rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Bake the witches' finger breadsticks for 20 minutes or till they turn light golden brown.
- Remove the trays from the oven.
- Serve warm breadsticks with a dip of your choice or with some soup.
- Can use ready made pizza dough to make the breadsticks.
- Add herbs and flavourings of your choice.
- Can use beetroot juice instead of sauce.
- For extra soft breadsticks bake them only for 15 minutes.
- Pizza Sauce, Cream Cheese Dip, Cheese Sauce, Flavored Olive oil are some suggestions for dips.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962