Gobi Musallam/Whole Roasted Cauliflower Curry
THEME: #270 CAULIFLOWER STORIES
RECIPE: GOBI MUSALLAM
What is Gobi Musallam?
Gobi Musallam is a vegetarian version of the famous Chicken Musallam from the Mughal Cuisine. Musallam means whole. Just as a whole chicken is cooked, so is Gobi Musallam. Gobi or Gobhi is the Hindi word for Cauliflower. The chicken is stuffed with eggs and cooked dry or with gravy. Gobi Musallam is a totally vegetarian version and therefore no eggs are used. A creamy sauce is added to make it more appealing.
Sauces and Marinades for Gobi Musallam
After trimming the leaves off, whole cauliflower or gobi is boiled till its about 60% cooked. The rest of the cooking is completed in the oven. Let me warn you this dish cannot be made in a hurry. It is advisable to to marinate the parboiled cauliflower for at least 1-2 hours. Prepare the creamy sauce, pour over the marinaded cauliflower and roast till done.
The choice of marinade is entirely up to you. You can use your favorite green or red chutney, use spicy thick yogurt, add spices in oil. I chose to use yogurt.
Just like the marinade, sauces vary from cook to cook, home to home. Some add makhani sauce or tikka sauce. Others cook it in a yogurt sauce. Whatever kind of sauce you use, the overall dish is very tasty and would make a lovely centre piece for any vegetarian meal. For different curries or sauces check this post.
FoodieMonday/ Bloghop Group
This week the FoodieMonday/ Bloghop Group is preparing any dish using Cauliflower. Preethi who blogs at Preethi’s Cuisine, suggested this theme. I’m so glad, as it has given me the opportunity to cook Gobi Musallam. In fact this recipe has been in my diary for a very long time. For this theme Preethi has made Oven Roasted Cauliflower Steaks. Such a healthy and flavorful meal to enjoy. You may want to try out her healthy Nutty Cauliflower Rice with chickpeas, pistachio and sunflower seeds.
What is Gobi/ Cauliflower?
Cauliflower is a vegetable belonging to the Brassicaceae or Cruciferae (mustard) family. The white part or curd as its called is the edible part. Use the leaves and stems for soups and stews. Cauliflower was originates from Cyprus. It was introduced to the Indian Sub Continent by the British.
Recipes using Cauliflower:
in recent times, cauliflower has become a popular vegetable for healthy diets, including the Keto diet. Low in calories, rich in Vitamin C, cauliflower has found its way to the gourmet tables too. I’m not a big fan of cauliflower. However, after having tasted Gobi Musallam, I’m slowly changing my mind.
- Ideal for those following a Keto Diet – Keto Cauliflower Paneer Poha
- Serve Grilled Cauliflower, Indo Chinese Style with sweet and hot sauce
- With the cold season setting in enjoy a hearty creamy Cauliflower and Chickpea Soup
- A healthy cauliflower rice dish without actual rice – Chinese Cauliflower Rice
- Masala Cauliflower – a side dish to enjoy with some roti
- I love Cauliflower Soup with cheddar cheese.
- A common side dish or sabji on my table is Stir Fried Cauliflower and Potato
- When my kids were young the way to get to have cauliflower was hiding with the paneer in Palak Paneer Parathas
Ingredients Required for Gobi Musallam:
- Cauliflower – a good head of cauliflower which has no wiggly worms and is fresh.
- Onion – white, yellow or red, any of your choice. I’ve used red.
- Garlic – minced for both the marinade and the sauce
- Green Chilli – minced or paste for both the marinade and the sauce. Add according to your taste.
- Ginger – minced for both the marinade and the sauce
- Turmeric Powder – for boiling, sauce and marinade
- Red Chilli Powder – for sauce and marinade. Add according to your taste.
- Coriander Cumin Powder – for the sauce and marinade
- Tomato Sauce – I usually allow tomatoes to cook till they become soft and puree them for fresh tomato sauce or puree
- Cumin Seeds – jeera
- Mustard Seeds – rai
- Salt – for boiling, sauce and marinade
- Yogurt – Hung yogurt or Greek yogurt for the marinade. For Vegan version use a vegan yogurt
- Tandoori Masala or Garam Masala – for the marinade
- Kasuri Methi – dried fenugreek leaves, for the sauce
- Fresh Coriander – for the sauce
- Cashew Nuts – for the sauce. Soak them in the measured hot water for 15-20 minutes
- Saffron – for the sauce
- Almonds and Pistachios – optional, chopped for garnishing
- Water – for boiling and for the soaking the cashew nuts
- Oil – any oil of your choice
- Ghee or Butter – for vegan version omit and replace with oil
- Hot Milk – to infuse the saffron. For vegan version replace with vegan friendly milk
- Gluten Free
- For Vegan Version replace the milk and yogurt with vegan products. Replace ghee or butter with oil
GOBI MUSALLAM/ ROASTED CAULIFLOWER CURRY
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER:
- 1 head cauliflower approx 400g without the leaves
- water enough
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
FOR THE YOGURT MARINADE:
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp tandoori or garam masala
- ½ tsp sugar
FOR THE MAKHANI SAUCE
- 1½ cup fresh tomato sauce or puree
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 tsp ginger minced,paste
- 1 tsp garlic minced, paste
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 12 cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- ⅛ tsp saffron
- ¼ cup hot milk
- ½ cup hot water
PREPARATION OF CAULIFLOWER:
- Trim the leaves off the cauliflower. Cut the stem in such a way that the cualiflower sits well.
- Soak the cauliflower in salted water for 15-20 minutes. This helps to remove any tiny worms that might be present between the florets.
- Heat enough water in a saucepan that is enough for the cauliflower head.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Place the cauliflower in the boiling water, head up. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn the cauliflower carefully, this time with the stem facing up. Allow it to boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the parboiled cauliflower from the water and keep it on the side to cool.
PREPARATION OF THE YOGURT MARINADE:
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Coat the parboiled cauliflower with the marinade properly. Place in a big mixing bowl along with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or cling film. Allow the cauliflower to marinade for 1 hour or overnight.
PREPARATION OF MAKHANI SAUCE:
- Soak cashew nuts in hot water for 15 -20 minutes.
- Soak saffron in the hot milk for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil and ghee or butter together in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop or sizzle.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onion and saute till nearly light brown.
- Add garlic, ginger and green chill pastes. Stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander cumin powder. Mix.
- Immediately add the tomato puree.
- Add salt and allow the puree to cook till it becomes a bit thick.
- Allow the sauce to cool down a bit.
- Put the sauce in a blender with the cashew nuts and water.
- Blend to a smooth sauce.
- Pour the sauce back in the pan. Add kasuri methi, chopped coriander and the infused saffron milk. Mix well.
- Add any marinade to the makhani sauce that might be on the side of the cauliflower.
- Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the cauliflower upright in a baking tray.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower.
- Roast the cauliflower for 25-30 minutes until it begins to brown on top or till its done.
- Insert a knife to check whether the cauliflower is cooked properly. It should have a bite and not be overcooked.
- Garnish with chopped almonds and pistachios.
- Serve with naan, paratha or roti.
- Use a marinade of your choice
- Make a sauce of your choice, like tikka sauce, pasanda sauce, etc.
- Make sure the cauliflower is fresh and without any blemishes.
- Some fry the cauliflower instead of parboiling it.
- Don't allow the musallam to burn in the oven. Keep an eye on it.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962