THEME: #259 FRUITY BITES
RECIPE : KNICKERBOCKER GLORY
This Week’s Theme on FoodieMonday/Bloghop Group:
This week, the group has to use fresh fruits to create or make a dessert. When Archana who blogs at The Mad Scientists Kitchen suggested this theme, I knew I wanted to re create desserts that are associated with my childhood. As for Archana’s blog, most of her posts either for Indian or International Cuisine are fun to read as she tends to include a lot of information associated to the recipe.
What is Knickerbocker Glory?
If you search in any dictionary, knickerbockers are loose fitting short trousers which are gathered at the knees. It is believed that these type of trousers were worn by Dutch Settlers who went to the New World (America). Knickerbocker back then was the nickname of the Dutch Settlers back then. Also knickerbockers a British word, refers to bloomerlike undergarment worn by women.
So how was such a strange name for a dessert given? Actually have no idea. There is no convincing explanation for how the name came about. Its not a Dutch dessert but very much a UK or as known back then a very English dessert or sundae.
If you’re a huge fan of Harry Potter and have read the books, then you’ll know that knickerbocker glory is mentioned in one of the books. During his visit to the zoo, Harry Potter gets to finish Dudley’s Knickerbocker Glory.
Personally, I really don’t care how or who invented it but this dessert or sundae brings back loads of childhood memories. I grew up in a joint family and family outings were fun. Dining out at restaurants on special occasions, going for ice cream cones, going out for desserts, picnics, my uncle bring huge box of assorted small cakes and freshly baked breads! Occasionally, we all would, pile up in the van and car and drive to Serena Hotel, Nairobi just for desserts. Obviously, as kids our main focus would be on ice cream desserts. While Banana Split with three scoops was a bit too much for me, I loved to order Knickerbocker Glory. Was it for the crunchy wafer biscuit, the long stick of flaky chocolate(Cadbury 99 Flake) or just the fancy tall glass, I really can’t remember. I realized that making this sundae is so easy.
Some Fresh Fruit Desserts:
- Easy Fruit Trifle using ginger nuts (ginger cookies) is a quick and delicious dessert.
- Exotic Fruit Salad served with an orange reduction.
- Enjoy Amaranth Fruity Pudding when you’re fasting or looking for a healthier dessert.
- Fruit Tartlets – fill tiny tarts with custard, whipped cream or cream cheese and top with fresh fruit.
- Mango and Passion fruit Paleta – a frozen treat.
- Serve a kheer loaded with fresh fruit and nuts – Fruit and Nut Kheer
- I love to serve Shrikhand with fresh fruits
- Have tried traditional basundi loaded with fresh fruits?
- Phyllo Cheesecake Cups – I love how crunchy this dessert is and with fresh fruit, makes its a lot healthier than a normal slice of cheesecake.
- Archana’s Pears Poached in Sugar Syrup is so tempting. Its a must try recipe.
- Nectarine and Blueberry Crisp – a baked delicious dessert
- A sugar free fruity dessert – Beetroot Blueberry Pops
- Classic Apple Crisp – baked and served with ice cream
Basic Ingredients for a Knickerbocker Glory:
Ok I didn’t have the waffle biscuit or the flaky chocolate but that’s the charm about Knickerbocker Glory. There are no fixed ingredients or rules as to what ingredients one should use. Meringue was one of the ingredients in the olden times but am guessing not many people use. However, the basic ingredients to make a Knickerbocker Glory are:
- Fresh Fruits – a medley of fresh fruits of your choice.
- Fruit Coulis or Syrup – Usually the coulis or sauce is made from berries. Sometimes ready made fruit syrups are used.
- Ice Cream – usually vanilla ice cream but one can use any flavour.
- Whipped Cream – a must
- Top it with a wafer biscuit, a cherry on top.
Some suggestions of what you can use:
Knickerbocker Glory is all about layers in a tall glass, so feel free to use whatever you would like in your sundae.
- Chocolate Sauce
- Crushed meringues
- crushed cookies
- Different flavors of ice creams
- Funfetti or sprinkles
Ingredients I used for Knickerbocker Glory:
I didn’t go overboard with the amount of ice cream, the syrup and the cream. Instead, used more fruit.
- Fresh Fruits – I used a mixture of chopped peaches, mango, blueberries, chopped strawberries and pomegranate.
- Vanilla Ice cream
- Fruit Syrup – I had blackcurrant syrup (Ribena) which I used.
- Whipped Cream
- Choco Chips
- Suitable for vegetarian as I’ve not used jelly
- Gluten free as no biscuits have been used
- For Vegan version use Vegan ice cream and whipping cream or whipped coconut cream.
- 1 cup mixed fresh fruit
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2 tbsp fruit syrup
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Whip the whipping cream to soft peak consistency.
- Take two tall glasses.
- Add mixed chopped fruit into both. Leave some for another layer.
- Add ice cream.
- Drizzle the syrup over it.
- Top with some chopped fresh fruit.
- Add whipped cream.
- Add chocolate chips and serve.
- As mentioned above add any topping of your choice like nuts, candy, sprinkles, etc.
- Use any flavour of ice cream. Can add more if you like as I choice to use more fruit.
- Coulis is simply any fruit blended to a smooth consistency.
- I used less whipped cream, you can add more.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962