MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON -APRIL 2018
#87TH BLOGGING MARATHON
THEME: EXPLORE THE FLAVORS – INTERNATIONAL BREAKFAST
“Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dine like a Pauper”
Do any of you have days when you just can’t get any good ideas for food styling? Do you look at the photos after a few days and think ‘what sort of picture have I taken?’ Or sometimes are you so pressed for time that you take pictures in a hurry and then later on realize they are so bad but now the food has gone down everyones tummy? That recently happened to me and now when I look at the picture, its so so bad. I have two options, either just use that picture or make the dish again and take a better picture before its time to post the recipe.
Anyway, I think we all have our days. In this competitive world we have to compete with excellent styled food pictures against good recipes. There have been times when I’ve tried out a recipe from other sites and blogs and they have been disasters but the pictures are what we all call drool worthy!
Oh well, styling food is part practice and part artistic talent. Food styling comes so easily to my daughter. Her other pictures too are good. She has an eye for it.
Check out her website : Dubae
We’re already into Day 20 and today’s breakfast is a Tomato Omelette from ARMENIA. This is not the usual omelette where one adds chopped tomatoes to the egg. Its different and tastes good and is a hearty meal. Sometimes along with the tomatoes some minced meat is added. Its easy to make and I added my own homemade tomato sauce and coriander to it as I didn’t have fresh basil. This preparation is a bit like shakshuka but the difference is that instead of adding whole egg to the stir fried vegetables, here the eggs are first whisked and then added.
1 onion, diced or sliced
1-2 tomatoes, diced
½ cup homemade thick tomato sauce
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
½ cup sweet bell pepper, diced
½ – ¾ tsp salt
1tsp pepper powder
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and stir fry till a bit soft.
- Add the chopped garlic, tomatoes and sweet bell pepper.
- Stri fry till the peppers are soft.
- Add salt and the homemade tomato sauce.
- Cook the mixture till all the water from the sauce evaporates.
- In the meantime whisk the eggs in a jug.
- Pour the whisked eggs over the tomato sauce.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the egg cook till done.
- Sprinkle pepper powder and chopped coriander over the omelette.
- Serve with bread and butter.
- To make homemade tomato sauce or puree, dip the tomatoes in hot water. Leave for a few minutes. Peel off the skin. Puree the tomatoes. At this point you can leave it as it is or make it into a pizza like sauce with onions, garlic and seasoning.
- For a firm omelette cook for a long time and for a soft omelette, cook for less time.
A-Z breakfast Dishes:
F – French Toast – Canada
G – Griddle/Girdle Scones – Scotland
H – Hafragrautur – Iceland
I – Idiyappam – India
J – Johnnycakes – Caribbean Islands
K – Khabees – Bahrain
L – Lahooh – Somalia
M – Masoub – Saudi Arabia
N – Nasi Goreng – Indonesia
O – Oladushki – Russia
P – Pandesal – The Philippines
Q – Qistibi – Tatarstan and Bashkortostan
R – Red Rice Porridge – Bhutan
S – Suafa’i – Samoa
Check out what other Mega Blogging Marathoners have made for Day 20:
Sending this recipe to the following event: