527. sweet potato tikkis/pattis
Its time for garbas and dandiyas
Navratri is back and will be over before we know it. Its time for fasting, prayers and dancing (garbas and dandiyas). Many Hindu families abstain from meat and alcohol during this period. Some fast by having only one meal without garlic or onions. Some fast omitting pulses and grains from their diet. Some have only milk and fruit. I don’t fast all 9 days but do fast on the 8th day of Navratri. Nav means nine and ratri means night. During these 9 nights and 10 days the Hindus worship the nine forms of Goddess Durga. The nine forms are Durga, Bhadrakali, Amba, Annapurna, Sarvamangala,Bhairavi, Chandika, Lalita and Bhavani. Different states of India celebrate Navratri in different ways. In the northern part of India navratras are usually celebrated by holding pooja and singing bhajans(devotional songs). In Gujarat and Mumbai, its usually celebrated with garbas and dandiyas. Durga Ma is worshipped for all 9 days in the eastern part of India. Huge pandals are set up and decorated to worship the Goddess.Different communities have different rituals but its celebrated by all Hindus.
I made some sweet potato tikkis or pattis. This can be eaten when you are fasting. I served it with mango coriander chutney. The sourness of the mango complimented the sweetness of sweet potato. However, you can make any chutney of your preference.
SWEET POTATO TIKKIS/PATTIS
Makes 12 -14
800g (2 large ) sweet potatoes
1 tsp ginger paste
2-3 finely chopped green chillis
2 tbsp lemon juice
1-1½ tsp salt (rock salt)
¼ cup chopped coriander
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp clove powder
½ tsp cumin powder
2 tbsp arrowroot flour or cassava flour
oil for deep frying or shallow frying
- Boil or roast the sweet potatoes till its done. If you want to roast it then let it bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180°C.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Mash the potatoes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Grease your hands with oil and a tray.
- Take about a golf ball size of the mixture.
- Roll it and shape it into a flat disc.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the remaining mixture.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Pour a little oil into the pan, about 1-2 tbsp.
- Put the pattis in the pan.
- Let it cook till its golden brown.
- Flip and cook the other side.
- Serve with chutney.
- Add roughly chopped peanuts if you like.
- You can deep fry them for a more crunchier pattis.
- You can make tiny ones to serve as starters.
|samo and potato pattis