477. Raab (millet flour porridge)
very nutritious – grandmother’s remedy
What is raab? Raab is like a soup or porridge made from millet flour. I remember my grandmother having this when she would not feel like eating a normal meal. Lactating mums are given raab everyday, its a remedy for sore throats and colds. Its given to people recovering from an illness. Its a filling dish for elderly people who don’t feel like eating a normal meal or cannot eat spicy food. Raab has loads of benefits. Its a comfort food and wards off cold. Prepare it when you feel like having something sweet and hot. Its nutritious so you can sip through it without any guilt.I love raab and find any excuse to make it. Here are some of the benefits of the ingredients used in making raab:
Millet flour : easily digested, has alkaline properties, rich in magnesium, rich in protein and niacin, gluten free, the serotonin in millet has a calming effect on ones mood, it has low glycemic index, good for the heart, keeps cholesterol in check, good for digestion which helps to eliminate problems like bloating, constipation, cramps, excess gas. The benefits are numerous.
Jaggery: a great remedy for anemia, joint pains and menstrual cramps.Purifies the blood, boosts energy, prevents constipation, high in minerals, cleanses the liver, increases immunity, reduces premenstrual syndrome.
Ghee : stimulates the secretion of gastric juices to aid digestion, soothing for the throat, rich in Vitamins A, D, E and K.
Ginger : anti inflammatory properties, prevents nausea, helps to get rid of nose and chest congestion, helps to revive a dull appetite, helps fight infections.
Fennel seeds : increases production of milk in lactating mothers, rich source of fiber, helps digestions, prevents bloating and excess gas,relieves water retention, provides strength,rich in antioxidants, rich in copper which is required for production of red cells.
Ajwain(carom seeds or bishop weed): aids digestion,wards off constipation, beneficial to pregnant and lactating mums,relieves cough and asthma, helps prevent bloating, good remedy for migraines.
Almonds : help build strong bones and teeth, help to reduce heart diseases, boost brain activity, provide energy and alkalize the body.
Our Grandmothers probably didn’t know the all the benefits of having raab but still used as the most natural remedy for almost everything. This is one recipe that probably has been passed along through generations.
Go on make raab for a sick person or just because you feel like having a hot energetic drink.
Share your thoughts :
After reading all the benefits of the ingredients, would you like to make raab?
1 cup water
3 tbsp grated jaggery (gur)
2 tbsp millet flour
1- 2 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
¼ tsp carom seeds (ajwain, bishop weed)
½ tsp fennel seeds (valiyari)
¼ tsp cardamom powder (elachi)
1 tbsp almond powder
½ tsp ginger powder
pinch of saffron
a generous pinch of pepper powder
- Put water and jaggery in a pan. Heat it till the jaggery melts. Strain the liquid.
- Add ginger powder to it and mix well.
- Heat ghee in another pan over very low heat.
- Add carom and fennel seeds.
- Add millet flour and stir is continuously till you get the aroma (30secs – 1 min)
- Add almond powder and mix for a few seconds.
- Add the hot jaggery water. Be careful as the water will splatter.
- Stir the mixture and cook it over low heat till it becomes slightly thick.
- Add cardamom and black pepper powder. Add saffron and serve.
- If you are going to serve this to an elderly person who had chewing problems then its best to grind the fennel and ajwain seeds into a powder.
- Add sliced almonds for a more filling drink.
- Stir fry the millet flour over low heat. Make sure it does not burn.
- Can add more ghee if you like.
- Sometimes a pinch of turmeric powder is added if having it to decongest the nose or chest.
- For a thicker raab add 3 tbsp of millet.
- You can add more ginger powder. Adjust the ingredients according to your taste.
- Can add other nuts too.
You may want to check out the following :
|beetroot tomato juice
|blueberries and grapes smoothie|
Sending this recipe to the following event :