Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps
EVENT: FOODIES_REDOING OLD POSTS
Recipe: Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps
Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps make a healthy, hearty, delicious lunch or dinner option. Carry the wrap for lunch and warm up in the toaster or a pan. The best part of this easy to make recipe is that one can enjoy the wraps warm or cold. Also they come together in a jiffy if you have tortilla or wraps handy in the pantry.
Wraps Are Versatile
If you have tortilla at home, you can use leftovers as stuffing. Sometimes just spreading some green chutney on the tortilla and adding leftover methi bateta nu shaak, tastes super duper. Try Sukhi Bhaji and use thick yogurt as a spread. How about using okra stir fry or cauliflower potato stir fry. The options are endless. How about some Egg Bhurji stuffing? I love paneer tikkawrap. Have you tried kebabs in a wrap?
Do I Have To Use Store Bought Wraps/Tortilla?
Not really, you can easily use leftover soft roti. Works well.
Or make the wraps at home. I like making the wraps at home when time permits.
Soft naans also make a wonderful option.
Veg Kebab Parathas, famous street food from Uttar Pradesh, India are perfect for dinner.
Last Saturday – 20/01/2015 our Lions Club of Mombasa Bahari hosted yet another successful poetry recital competition for children between the ages of 4 to 7. Please do take some time and visit the website. Poetry recital not only helps a child to develop confidence, but also improves their diction, voice control, helps them to learn new vocabulary, helps with memorization skills and prepares them for public speaking.Like reading, poems too are the mind’s adventure for the children. Reciting and understanding the poems also helps them to pretend and perform actions and expressions accordingly.
This year the poems given to the 6 -7 year olds were a bit long, but surprisingly they managed to memorize it within 2 weeks. We tend to underestimate a child’s brain. There is always room to learn new things. As for the poetry recital, all 75 children oozed with confidence and enjoyed reciting the poems. I am so glad I don’t have to judge the competition as I would find it is so difficult to choose winners.
Let Kids Be Kids
Recently, friends and cousins sent a video on whatsapp showing how toddlers are able to tell you the capital cities of many countries. When I saw the clipping, I felt sad. Sad because this toddler was taught to parrot off the cities without even really understanding what he is asked, where the country and where the city is. Why would parents want to waste time on rote learning instead of teaching children to learn something that they can understand, enjoy and have fun.
We generally begin with nursery rhymes and short fun poems which are famous in every culture and language. In Hindi we have Chanda Mama. The Gujarati one which my mum taught us.
Aav re varsaad
Aav re varsaad, dhebariyo parsaad,
Ooni ooni rotli ne Kaarela nu shaak.
Aav re varsaad, nevale paani,
Nathaaree chhokree ne dedke taani.
Aav re varsaad, dhebariyo parsaad,
Ooni ooni rotli ne kaarelaa nu shaak
THE GROUP – FOODIES_REDOING OLD POSTS
The Group Foodies_Redoing Old Posts, started by Renu helps the members to make an effort to update old posts. This is our 70th one. In reality, this group helps me to stay focused on updating old posts. Either with better photos and/or write up. Moreover, in some of them I’m also trying to add videos. Check out my You Tube Channel MAYURI’S JIKONI
With this intention, this time I am sharing Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps. While the filling recipe remains the same,I have used ready made tortilla wraps. If you want to make them at home check out the recipe here. I’ve also updated it better photos and a video.
Ingredients Required For Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps
- Tortilla Or Wraps – homemade or store bought
- Sweet Potato – peel and cut into small cubes. Enough to get 2 cups.
- Sweet Corn – cooked. Use fresh, frozen or canned.
- Beans – use cooked red kidney beans, black beans or any beans of your choice. If you are using dried beans, you need to soak them overnight in water. Next day cook the beans in enough water with salt. Can also used canned beans.
- Oil – need some for the sweet potato filling and also to caramelize the onions. Use any oil of your choice. I have used sunflower oil.
- Cumin Seeds – jeera, jiru. Easily available in Indian Stores.
- Garlic – peeled and minced. Need for the sweet potato filling and also some for the avocado yogurt dip or spread.
- Turmeric Powder – haldi, hardar. For the sweet potato filling.
- Red Chilli Powder – use according to your taste.
- Salt – for the sweet potato filling and the avocado yogurt dip or spread.
- Coriander Powder – for the sweet potato filling.
- Lime/ Lemon Juice
- Fresh Coriander – chop with tender stems
- Avocado – medium, for the dip or spread.
- Plain Yogurt – thick to add to the dip or spread.
- Green Chilli – paste or finely chopped. Add according to your taste.
- Pepper Powder – to add to the dip or spread.
- Some Salad Leaves
WATCH HOW TO MAKE SPICY SWEET POTATO WRAPS
SPICY SWEET POTATO WRAPS
FOR THE WRAPS
- 6 tortilla or wraps
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 cups sweet potato small cubes
- ½ cup sweet corn cooked
- ½ cup kidney beans cooked
- 1 medium onion peeled, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh coriander chopped
- some salad leaves
FOR THE AVOCADO DIP
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup plain yogurt thick
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- CARAMELIZE THE ONION SLICES
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced onion and a pinch of salt.
- Lower the heat.
- Stir frequently and cook the onion slices till it becomes golden brown in colour.
- Keep the caramelized on the side till required.
PREPARATION OF SPICY SWEET POTATO FILLING:
- Heat remaining oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds. As soon as the seed begin to sizzle add garlic.
- Stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped sweet potato, salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix well. Cover the pan, lower the heat. Allow the sweet potato to cook.
- In between don't forget to mix the sweet potato filling so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the sweet potato cubes are done, add coriander, red chilli powders. Add lime juice and the caramelized onion.
- Mix well. Also add fresh coriander and mix.
PREPARATION OF AVOCADO YOGURT DIP
- Mash the avocado.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
ROLL THE WRAPS:
- Spread some avocado yogurt dip on the tortilla or wrap.
- Arrange some salad leaves at the bottom ⅓ of the wrap.
- Add 2 tablespoonful of the filling on top of the salad leaves.
- Fold the two sides over the filling.
- Fold the bottom part of the wrap over the filling.
- Roll the rest up. Watch the above video for the method.
- Cut into half and serve with some sauce or chutney.
- Warm up the tortilla before adding the filling.
- Can warm up the filled wraps in the toaster oven or in a skillet.
- Add any filling of your choice.
- For a healthier option use spinach, beetroot wraps.
- Can add some cheese if you want to.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962