Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps
EVENT: FOODIES_REDOING OLD POSTS
Recipe: Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps
Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps make a healthy, hearty, delicious lunch or dinner option. Carry the wrap for lunch and warm up in the toaster or a pan. The best part of this easy to make recipe is that one can enjoy the wraps warm or cold. Also they come together in a jiffy if you have tortilla or wraps handy in the pantry.
Wraps Are Versatile
If you have tortilla at home, you can use leftovers as stuffing. Sometimes just spreading some green chutney on the tortilla and adding leftover methi bateta nu shaak, tastes super duper. Try Sukhi Bhaji and use thick yogurt as a spread. How about using okra stir fry or cauliflower potato stir fry. The options are endless. How about some Egg Bhurji stuffing? I love paneer tikkawrap. Have you tried kebabs in a wrap?
Do I Have To Use Store Bought Wraps/Tortilla?
Not really, you can easily use leftover soft roti. Works well.
Or make the wraps at home. I like making the wraps at home when time permits.
Soft naans also make a wonderful option.
Veg Kebab Parathas, famous street food from Uttar Pradesh, India are perfect for dinner.
Last Saturday – 20/01/2015 our Lions Club of Mombasa Bahari hosted yet another successful poetry recital competition for children between the ages of 4 to 7. Please do take some time and visit the website. Poetry recital not only helps a child to develop confidence, but also improves their diction, voice control, helps them to learn new vocabulary, helps with memorization skills and prepares them for public speaking.Like reading, poems too are the mind’s adventure for the children. Reciting and understanding the poems also helps them to pretend and perform actions and expressions accordingly.
This year the poems given to the 6 -7 year olds were a bit long, but surprisingly they managed to memorize it within 2 weeks. We tend to underestimate a child’s brain. There is always room to learn new things. As for the poetry recital, all 75 children oozed with confidence and enjoyed reciting the poems. I am so glad I don’t have to judge the competition as I would find it is so difficult to choose winners.
Let Kids Be Kids
Recently, friends and cousins sent a video on whatsapp showing how toddlers are able to tell you the capital cities of many countries. When I saw the clipping, I felt sad. Sad because this toddler was taught to parrot off the cities without even really understanding what he is asked, where the country and where the city is. Why would parents want to waste time on rote learning instead of teaching children to learn something that they can understand, enjoy and have fun.
We generally begin with nursery rhymes and short fun poems which are famous in every culture and language. In Hindi we have Chanda Mama. The Gujarati one which my mum taught us.
Aav re varsaad
Aav re varsaad, dhebariyo parsaad,
Ooni ooni rotli ne Kaarela nu shaak.
Aav re varsaad, nevale paani,
Nathaaree chhokree ne dedke taani.
Aav re varsaad, dhebariyo parsaad,
Ooni ooni rotli ne kaarelaa nu shaak
THE GROUP – FOODIES_REDOING OLD POSTS
The Group Foodies_Redoing Old Posts, started by Renu helps the members to make an effort to update old posts. This is our 70th one. In reality, this group helps me to stay focused on updating old posts. Either with better photos and/or write up. Moreover, in some of them I’m also trying to add videos. Check out my You Tube Channel MAYURI’S JIKONI
With this intention, this time I am sharing Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps. While the filling recipe remains the same,I have used ready made tortilla wraps. If you want to make them at home check out the recipe here. I’ve also updated it better photos and a video.
Ingredients Required For Spicy Sweet Potato Wraps
- Tortilla Or Wraps – homemade or store bought
- Sweet Potato – peel and cut into small cubes. Enough to get 2 cups.
- Sweet Corn – cooked. Use fresh, frozen or canned.
- Beans – use cooked red kidney beans, black beans or any beans of your choice. If you are using dried beans, you need to soak them overnight in water. Next day cook the beans in enough water with salt. Can also used canned beans.
- Oil – need some for the sweet potato filling and also to caramelize the onions. Use any oil of your choice. I have used sunflower oil.
- Cumin Seeds – jeera, jiru. Easily available in Indian Stores.
- Garlic – peeled and minced. Need for the sweet potato filling and also some for the avocado yogurt dip or spread.
- Turmeric Powder – haldi, hardar. For the sweet potato filling.
- Red Chilli Powder – use according to your taste.
- Salt – for the sweet potato filling and the avocado yogurt dip or spread.
- Coriander Powder – for the sweet potato filling.
- Lime/ Lemon Juice
- Fresh Coriander – chop with tender stems
- Avocado – medium, for the dip or spread.
- Plain Yogurt – thick to add to the dip or spread.
- Green Chilli – paste or finely chopped. Add according to your taste.
- Pepper Powder – to add to the dip or spread.
- Some Salad Leaves
WATCH HOW TO MAKE SPICY SWEET POTATO WRAPS
SPICY SWEET POTATO WRAPS
FOR THE WRAPS
- 6 tortilla or wraps
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 cups sweet potato small cubes
- ½ cup sweet corn cooked
- ½ cup kidney beans cooked
- 1 medium onion peeled, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh coriander chopped
- some salad leaves
FOR THE AVOCADO DIP
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup plain yogurt thick
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- CARAMELIZE THE ONION SLICES
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced onion and a pinch of salt.
- Lower the heat.
- Stir frequently and cook the onion slices till it becomes golden brown in colour.
- Keep the caramelized on the side till required.
PREPARATION OF SPICY SWEET POTATO FILLING:
- Heat remaining oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds. As soon as the seed begin to sizzle add garlic.
- Stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add chopped sweet potato, salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix well. Cover the pan, lower the heat. Allow the sweet potato to cook.
- In between don't forget to mix the sweet potato filling so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the sweet potato cubes are done, add coriander, red chilli powders. Add lime juice and the caramelized onion.
- Mix well. Also add fresh coriander and mix.
PREPARATION OF AVOCADO YOGURT DIP
- Mash the avocado.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
ROLL THE WRAPS:
- Spread some avocado yogurt dip on the tortilla or wrap.
- Arrange some salad leaves at the bottom ⅓ of the wrap.
- Add 2 tablespoonful of the filling on top of the salad leaves.
- Fold the two sides over the filling.
- Fold the bottom part of the wrap over the filling.
- Roll the rest up. Watch the above video for the method.
- Cut into half and serve with some sauce or chutney.
- Warm up the tortilla before adding the filling.
- Can warm up the filled wraps in the toaster oven or in a skillet.
- Add any filling of your choice.
- For a healthier option use spinach, beetroot wraps.
- Can add some cheese if you want to.
Pin For Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
January 27, 2015 at 11:44 pm
i also have something with sweet potatoes coming up tomorrow, love this wrap, quick and yumy
January 28, 2015 at 2:54 am
Very healthy wraps for kids,even we can also enjoy.
January 28, 2015 at 3:53 pm
The filling looks so colorful and delicious, healthy wraps..
PIYALI SEKHAR MUTHA /My Tryst With Food And Travel
January 28, 2015 at 4:58 pm
My little girl goes to a school where they emphasise on children having fun and enjoying the process of learning. This was the utmost criteria for us while choosing the school for her. I am totally against rote learning which I and my friends did a lot while growing up. We used to tell learning for exams which never helps in the long run. And as for the recipe I loved it immensely.
January 28, 2015 at 6:14 pm
Such an healthy and tempting filling dear 🙂 Love the black bean and sweet potato combo , just want enjoy a wrap now 🙂
January 28, 2015 at 10:00 pm
love this healthy wrap, every one can enjoy
January 31, 2015 at 4:26 am
Wraps are my favorite too. Can fill it with a variety of things. Love the filling you have used.
February 21, 2022 at 4:38 am
Sweet potato wraps looks hearty mayuriji! Avocado dip sounds delish! I love making wraps for our weekend breakfast , i will definitely try this wrap.
February 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm
Thank you so much Priya, I too love making wraps as a quick, filling and tasty meal.
February 23, 2022 at 1:55 am
I do agree Mayuri let kids be kids no point in getting them to parrot things like capitals! But…
These wraps are something I must try. I love the addition of sweet potato in the filling! definitely something we will love especially as we all need the change right now. Thanks for the hint Mayuri.
February 24, 2022 at 3:24 pm
Thanks Archana, I have tried out these wraps in India and Kenya with the white variety of sweet potatoes and it turns out so good. So go ahead and try out the recipe.
February 23, 2022 at 9:35 pm
Made these for my Meatless Monday dinner and they came out so delicious. I loved the flavor combination! I can’t wait to make again.
February 24, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Thank you so much Katie, am sure glad you enjoyed these wraps.
February 24, 2022 at 5:47 pm
This is such a yummy lunch idea. The sweet potato is seasoned perfectly and the wrap came together like a gem. I loved it and so did the Hubs.
February 25, 2022 at 11:36 pm
Thank you so much Julie for trying out the recipe. Am so glad you enjoyed them.
February 25, 2022 at 9:19 am
This is great lunch idea. I’m saving your recipe for sure. Looks healthy and delicious!
February 25, 2022 at 11:32 pm
Thank you so much Natalie, enjoy when you make the wraps.
February 25, 2022 at 11:48 am
I bring sweet potato a lot and this wraps with sweet potato and bean filling is a complete meal or a nice wrap which I can carry for picnics. I love the avocado dip with garlic, yogurt and pepper, sounds yum.
February 25, 2022 at 11:31 pm
Thank you Renu, the avocado dip just adds a different kind of flavour to the overall dish.
February 28, 2022 at 9:06 am
Using sweet potato in a wrap is something different, healthy and filling. It makes a good lunch for me with the avocado dip.
February 28, 2022 at 8:17 pm
Thanks Jayashree, it sure does make a filling and healthy meal option.
March 3, 2022 at 5:53 pm
You are so right, after bringing up the kids to teen level I feel so sad when the kids are pushed to do stuff they have no clue of doing. I was infact happy when my dad said mine know indian history better than the kids who dothrough the book as they have related to the place and then learnt it for themselves, not for an exam!
The sweet potato wraps look sumptuous. I will have them for my lunch box please.
March 3, 2022 at 8:46 pm
Thank you so much Seema, enjoy the wraps for lunch. Rote learning in some cases is fine like multiplication tables. But not for everything. Kids remember what they understand.
March 9, 2022 at 11:31 pm
let kids be kids – so true!
and these yummy, filling sweet potato wraps are just what I would love to bite into soon. the flavours are fantastic and the dip too is so delicious
March 10, 2022 at 9:07 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani.