119. melon salad
I simply love fruit, any fruit in my salad. I just have to find a new fruit in the market and it turns into a salad. Ajay was complaining that I don’t give any of the fruits breathing space. Well that’s not entirely true, had custard apple and jamun the other day on its own without turning it into a salad! Jamun got saved as I couldn’t be bothered to remove the chunky seeds and make a mushy mixture in the process. Anyway, if like me you love fruity salads, then try out the melon salad. Very fresh and healthy and loved the different hues of green. Use any melon of your choice, honeydew, musk melon or cantaloupe.Basically they are all the same except perhaps for the colour.
1 cup cubed melon
¼ cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
½ cup basil leaves
2 cups mixed green salad
10 to 12 walnuts roasted
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
¼ tsp coarse pepper powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- Peel and cube the melon and leave it in the fridge to cool till required.
- Tear the green leaves and basil into pieces.
- Cut the walnuts into pieces.
- Mix the leaves,walnuts and melon together.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over it.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad.
- Use rocket instead of basil.
- If the melon is sweet, omit maple syrup or honey.
- Roast the walnuts over a low flame in a frying pan. Shake the pan frequently to roast the nuts evenly.
- Add a tbsp of chopped spring onion or chives.