41. banana cinnamon frozen yogurt
The hot weather in Mombasa demands a cold dessert. I miss the gelato ice cream shop. Have no idea why it closed down. I came across a recipe of banana frozen yogurt. But the problem is I couldn’t find any frozen yogurt in Nakumatt. Nairobians don’t even have to bother making frozen yogurt at home as they have a frozen yogurt shop there. Lucky and to think that most of the time it is cold there! I tried out my version of the recipe and I must say it was a cool treat on a hot, humid night. Though it melted really fast as I had not added any stabilizers to it, the overall taste was great. I bought a 500ml vanilla yogurt and drained out the excess water by putting a white cotton cloth (mens’ hankerchief but a clean one is best for this task.) in a sieve and putting the yogurt in it. Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes. The vanilla yogurt is sweet so there is no need to add sugar.
BANANA CINNAMON FROZEN YOGURT
2 ripe bananas
1 cup of thick vanilla yogurt
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp lemon juice
2 tbsps of mixed chopped nuts or choco chips
- Mash the bananas with a fork or a masher.
- Combine the banana puree, yogurt, lemon juice and cinnamon together.
- Whisk it and pour into a shallow tray or box.
- Cover it with a lid or foil.
- Freeze the mixture till its nearly semi solid.
- Remove from the freezer. Using a fork or hand blender, break up the crystals.
- Freeze the mixture again.
- Scoop out the frozen yogurt into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle the topping and serve.
- Instead of nuts can use broken gingersnaps as a topping.
- If you use greek style yogurt, there is no need to drain it as it is thick.
- If you can’t scoop out the frozen yogurt, leave it out for a bit.
- All you lucky owners of an ice creamer maker, go on use it for this recipe.