Banana Cinnamon Frozen Yogurt
EVENT: FOODIES_ REDOING OLD POSTS #22
For this event, Foodies_Redoing Old Posts my 22nd recipe is an easy cold treat, Banana Cinnamon Frozen Yogurt.
Hot Weather in Mombasa
Generally Mombasa is a hot and humid coastal city. I cannot remember when I last must have worn a sweater here. However, there are some months that are much hotter than others. The sweltering heat begins from November till April when the rainy season begins. Till then its a sweating, lethargic and uncomfortable period. Going out, exercising, cooking all become a task. I generally try to postpone shopping till the list becomes a bit longer.
Time For Frozen or Cool Treats
One just cannot help yearning for some ice cream during the hot season. Having said that, its not really healthy to have so often. Once in a while is fine. My son has a good healthy way to enjoy ice cream. Whenever we are in Canada, we go for long walks after dinner during summer. He will make us walk for miles to get to an ice cream shop. Then, we have to walk back all that distance. Smart, don’t you think so?
As its not good to have ice creams with sugar ever so often, I make it using overripe bananas. First of all, let me remind you that though over ripe bananas look unappetizing as the skin turns all spotty brown and the banana begins to turn soft and brown, its a healthy fruit.
- Rich in antioxidants, it prevents cell damage and improves immunity.
- As the banana ripens, the starchy carbohydrates turn into free sugars and its easy to digest.
- Overripe bananas are very good for people who suffer from acidity. Prevents heartburns and protects the stomach from harmful acids.
- Its a rich source of iron and copper, which is good for the blood.
How to use Overripe Bananas
- Don’t throw those soft bananas away. I slice them up and freeze them. The frozen slices are used to make a sugarless banana ice-cream, to which you can add any other fruit, spices or flavorings. I like to add peanut butter or cocoa or chocolate sauce. Renu’s Strawberry Banana Ice Cream is what I’m going to try out soon.
- Overripe bananas added to muffins make the texture soft and you need less sugar. Add it to Chocolate Banana Walnut Muffins to make an eggless version.
- Add mashed overripe bananas to make a scrumptious Banana Walnut Bread.
- Use the frozen slices to make smoothies like Banana Peanut Butter and Oats Smoothie or a Banana Mango and Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl.
- Have you tried using overripe bananas to make a sweetish Yeasted Banana Sandwich Bread?
- Mango Banana and Mint Sorbet is an absolute cooling treat.
- Mashed up overripe banana can be added to pancakes or waffles too.
The first time ever I tasted frozen yogurt was on the Carnival Cruise we had taken Cayman Islands, Belize, Cozumel and New Orleans. It tasted like soft vanilla ice cream and I couldn’t believe that its made from yogurt. Years later, frozen yogurt in all flavors becomes a rage world over. The first time I made this frozen yogurt, I had to drain out the excess water from normal yogurt before using it. Nowadays its easier to just use greek yogurt. Cinnamon pairs so well with banana, so I usually don’t add other flavors. This allows me to serve the frozen yogurt in different ways like adding nuts, adding fresh chopped fruit, chocolate chips, drizzle with fruit sauce, etc. For this recipe I have used vanilla flavored yogurt which is sweet so haven’t added any form of sweetener. When I don’t get vanilla greek yogurt, I use plain and add coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup or stevia.
Ingredients For Banana Cinnamon Frozen Yogurt
- over ripe bananas, the browner the better as you wouldn’t need sugar
- vanilla or plain Greek yogurt
- cinnamon powder/ cardamom powder
- lemon juice
- Gluten Free
- For Vegan version use vegan yogurt
- Satvik and Vegetarian friendly as it has no eggs
What is the group Foodies _Redoing Old Posts all about?
Updating posts with better photos or better write up or both is what the group Foodies_Redoing Old Posts started by Renu allows us to do. The advantage of rewriting the post in a better manner makes it more SEO friendly and good photos is what attracts your fans to check out the recipe.
BANANA CINNAMON FROZEN YOGURT
2 overripe bananas
1 cup vanilla greek yogurt or thick yogurt
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp lemon juice
- Peel and cut the banana into slices.
- Arrange the slices in a single layer on a tray and freeze them.
- Add the frozen slices, cinnamon powder and yogurt into a food processor or blender.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- You will get a thick ice cream like consistency,
- Transfer the frozen yogurt into an airtight container and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- For a much softer texture, use an electric beater to break up the crystals.
- Put the frozen yogurt back in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Scoop out and serve with chopped nuts, chocolate chips or any other topping.
- I had to put it back in the freezer as the hot weather melts the frozen yogurt very fast.
- Add spices of your choice like cardamom or flavoring you like.
- Have you ever served banana frozen yogurt with broken pieces of ginger snap? Go on try it, its very good.
- If the mixture melts quickly due to the weather, add it into your ice cream and churn it.
- Sugar is not required as the bananas are sweet and so it the vanilla yogurt. If you use plain yogurt then add sugar according to your taste.
Pin for later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
April 5, 2020 at 9:34 pm
Every time overripe bananas end up in a cake or shake but this is something quite irregular and unique. Gonna try it whenever have such bananas.
April 5, 2020 at 9:38 pm
Thanks Shailender, please try it… its such a delicious frozen treat and with less sugar.
April 7, 2020 at 10:09 am
Looks so amazingly delicious. I just cannot believe it is frozen yogurt. If I had not read it I would have thought it was an ice cream. Love it.Now I think I will get over my aversion to sweetened curds. 😀
April 7, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Thanks Archana, this one doesn’t taste like sweetened yogurt at all, just tastes like normal ice cream, so please try it.
April 7, 2020 at 6:56 pm
What a delicious way to use up overripe bananas. Frozen yogurt looks so creamy and decadent. Will definitely be making this soon. Thank you for the recipe.
April 7, 2020 at 8:03 pm
You’re most welcome and enjoy.
April 7, 2020 at 7:25 pm
Frozen yogurt is such a great saviour in summers. Overripe bananas put to good use this way will make everyone happy which otherwise no one would love to eat.
April 7, 2020 at 8:03 pm
That’s so true Lata, when I had made it the first time my son couldn’t believe that I’d used up overripe bananas.
April 7, 2020 at 10:31 pm
Mayuri, I love warm weather and in the Boston area, it is still cold. So at first the weather in Mombasa seemed so lovely but I do not like sweltering heat and humidity either. So I can understand how you feel.
That ice cream sure must be a treat on hot days! I love these banana ice creams too. i have never added lemon juice to it. Will try it next time.
April 8, 2020 at 6:07 pm
Thanks Sandhya, weather is still very hot here. I love the slight lemon taste in it. Have also tried with a bit of orange too.
April 9, 2020 at 8:48 pm
That’s a wonderful way of using overripe banana other than banana bread. My girls would love this banana cinnamon frozen yogurt for sure.
April 11, 2020 at 8:40 pm
Thanks Sapana and enjoy.
Jagruti’s Cooking Odyssey
April 10, 2020 at 10:02 am
We are still in spring season and have to wait at least 4 weeks for hot weather. Such a good idea of using over ripe banana in this tasty and easy yogurt which is good for you.
April 11, 2020 at 8:39 pm
Thanks Jagruti… try it out during summer.
April 10, 2020 at 11:17 am
This is a good and ideal way to use the ripe bananas. It tastes great. Loved the clicks.
April 11, 2020 at 8:39 pm
Thank you so much Jayashree and an ice cream treat without any guilt.
April 14, 2020 at 11:51 pm
This is the perfect time to enjoy some frozen yogurt. This banana frozen yogurt with cinnamon flavor sounds amazing.
April 16, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Thank you so much Lathiya, its a simple and flavorful dessert, try it.
Renu Agrawal Dongre
April 16, 2020 at 8:58 pm
At first I thought this is an Ice Cream but using yogurt this is so healthy and definitely delicious. Loving the flavours here and I am trying this for sure.
April 17, 2020 at 6:30 pm
Thanks Renu, banana makes the consistency like an ice cream. Hope your kids enjoy it.
Sasmita Sahoo Samanta
April 17, 2020 at 6:59 am
WOW ! Love this easy cold using banana, cinnamon in yogurt. Perfect treat for summer hot days 🙂 Looks so delicious and its simply like an icecream 😉
April 17, 2020 at 6:27 pm
Thanks Sasmita and it is like an ice cream. Easy to make and healthier than commercial ice cream.
December 10, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Indeed an nnovative way to use over-ripe banana. Using frozen yogurt makes the icecream a guilt-free treat!
December 10, 2020 at 4:41 pm
Thank you so much Poonam, it makes a healthy treat for kids too.