659. Peaches and Cream Oatmeal Cups
Peaches and Cream Day
Did you know that 21st June is celebrated as the National Peaches and Cream Day in USA? Well, I didn’t know till Sarah Ellis initiator of Fantastical Food Fight suggested that for the June theme we should prepare something with Peaches and Cream theme. It also marks the beginning of the summer solstice. Its more popular in the south as peaches are in season in June in the states of Georgia, Florida, California and South Carolina. How this day came about is unknown.
As the name suggests this dessert is very easy to prepare. Its peaches served with whipped fresh cream. The simple dessert is so delicious that I was tempted to just make this simple dessert for the post. What stopped me was the cream part.. it would not do too well on my hips and ever enlarging tummy (hate menopause!).
As a not too healthy and not too sinful dish, I decided to make peaches and ‘cream’ oatmeal cups. I replaced the cream with some healthy greek yogurt. Why not too healthy? Well, I used a wee bit of butter and there is some brown sugar in the cups. Check out the tips section to make variations of this recipe. It’s supposed to be a breakfast treat but we couldn’t wait till the next day and enjoyed a couple as dessert.
Before I go to the recipe I must share my excitement with you all. I’m now the proud owner of a MacBook Air. Yeah I know its not the Pro or whatever is the latest in the Apple world, but for once I’ve not inherited and old computer, this one is mine..and mine alone, hubby not allowed to use it! My previous laptop a Sony Viao was inherited from my daughter. It practically had no battery life and would overheat ever so often. That would cause it switch off ever so often. That meant that one post could take me hours as the computer would keep switching off and starting it again would take time. a great belated Mother’s Day present from my family…thank you family, love you all so much.
Here’s my breakfast/dessert recipe to celebrate Peaches and Cream Day.
|try adding other fruits|
PEACHES AND CREAM OATMEAL CUPS
For the oatmeal cups:
2 medium over ripe bananas
3 cups rolled oats
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp soft brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
For the filling:
¾ – 1 cup greek yogurt
1½ cup diced peaches or 3 peaches
½ tsp butter
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
½ cup chopped walnuts
butter or oil for greasing
Preparation of the oatmeal cups:
- Mash the bananas in a bowl.
- Add eggs, salt, sugar, honey and vanilla extract. Whip the mixture.
- Add the rolled oats and mix well.
- Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes giving the oats time to soak up the liquid.
- Grease a muffin pan lightly with some oil or butter.
- Put about a tablespoon and half of the mixture into the muffin cup.
- Using a spoon, spread it towards the wall of the cup and make a hollow cup.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Refrigerate the oatmeal cups for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Bake the oatmeal cups for 30 minutes till they are golden brown in colour.
- Let the cups cool in the tray for 5 minutes.
- Remove them from the tray and let them cool on a wire rack.
- At this point you can store them in an airtight container or fill them.
- Heat butter in a pan over low heat.
- Add the diced peaches and sugar.
- Stir fry them for 3-4 minutes.
- Let the peaches cool down a bit.
- Spoon some greek yogurt into the cups.
- Top with peaches.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts and serve.
- You don’t have to cook the peaches if you don’t want to. I cooked them a bit as they were a bit bland.
- Use whipped fresh cream or cream cheese instead of greek yogurt.
- If you don’t get greek yogurt in your area, use hung yogurt.
- I used plain yogurt but you can use any flavoured yogurt.
- Use nuts or seeds of your choice.
- Add sugar or honey to the plain greek yogurt if you prefer.
If you want to be a part of this group then click here.
Sharing this recipe with:
June 22, 2017 at 4:47 am
That's a gorgeous dish, and congratulations on your very own laptop! You deserve it!
June 22, 2017 at 8:38 am
What a beautiful recipe! Love those oat bowls, which can be typically filled with anything in it!
Amy (Savory Moments)
June 22, 2017 at 11:17 am
These sounds so good! I love the idea of an oatmeal cup. Great FFF recipe!
June 22, 2017 at 12:25 pm
What a fun recipe! I love the oatmeal cups and how many ways you can use them!
June 22, 2017 at 2:11 pm
I love these Mayuri….they sound exceptionally delicious.
June 22, 2017 at 9:27 pm
These look wonderful and make me want to eat everything out of an oatmeal cup from now on! Great idea!
Traditionally Modern Food
June 22, 2017 at 10:16 pm
With peaches in season this looks like a perfect recipe. healhty and tasty
June 24, 2017 at 2:13 am
I wouldn't mind waking up to this on my breakfast table!! Love it 🙂 I share your excitement in getting your own laptop! A year back when I started this blog, I had the same experience..it goes with me where ever I am!
June 26, 2017 at 2:41 am
I'm so glad you now have a computer that doesn't randomly shut off! I'd have chucked it out the window long ago.
These oatmeal cups are so cute and so genius.
June 28, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Looks so good and yummy
July 1, 2017 at 3:30 pm
Wow Mayuri, these look absolutely delicious!!!! I'd be very happy indeed to get a plate of these for my breakfast! Thanks so much for hooking up with Simple and in Season this month, it's a pleasure to have you over 🙂
July 3, 2017 at 6:26 pm
Ah, new computers are always nice to have. My 10 year old HP laptop finally had the processor fry, so now I don't get near as much blogging done in the night, but the one I'm eyeing I don't want to spend the money on right now because I'm stingy. But anyways…love this take on peaches and cream! I made oatmeal for mine, but oatmeal cups sound DELISH!