227. chocolate thumbprint cookies
happy valentine’s day
Valentine’s day has been hyped up over the years. When I was growing up in Kenya, Valentine’s day came and went without anyone really noticing. Instead secret love messages were sent among boyfriends and girlfriends and nothing much. Nowadays a person can receive many love messages, gifts etc but which one is the true one? Isn’t it better to have just one special person to love and care for than so many false relationships?
However, for me its basically just an excuse to indulge in something chocolatey. With a chocoholic daughter and husband I decided to bake some chocolate cookies for Valentine’s day. I don’t have any fancy heart shaped cookie cutters so for now the round ones will do. Perhaps we should add more meaning to Valentine’s day by remembering what Mother Teresa said : “love is a fruit in season at all times and within reach of every hand.” Spreading love, peace and happiness is our basic duty.
CHOCOLATE THUMBPRINT COOKIES
Makes about 60 small cookies
200g plus 2 tbsp soft butter
2 cups plain flour (all purpose flour)
¾ cup sugar
⅓ cup cocoa powder (5 tbsp and 1 tsp)
½ tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
1 tsp baking powder
for the frosting :
3 tbsps cocoa powder
1¼ cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
3 tbsps hot water
1 tsp vanilla essence
colourful sprinkles for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease the baking trays.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda together into a bowl.
- In another bowl cream butter and sugar together till it is light in colour and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture to it. Mix well and form into a dough.
- Take about a teaspoonful of the dough and roll it into a small ball. Place it on the greased tray. Make an indent with your thumb gently.
- Repeat step 5 with the rest of the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime keep the frosting ready.(see below)
- Remove the trays from the oven after 10 minutes. The cookies will have cracked a bit.
- Immediately start spooning the frosting into the indented space.
- Sprinkle some sprinkles on it.
- Store in an airtight container once the cookies are cool and the frosting has set.
- Sieve the sugar and cocoa together in a bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and hot water and mix well.
- Work fast with the frosting as it tends to thicken very quickly. If it does become thick, add a tsp or less of water and mix well.
- Instead of frosting, add nutella or melted chocolate.
- To make heart shaped cookies, roll out the dough and cut with a heart shaped cookie cutter. Or roll into balls and make heart shaped indents.
- Get your kids to help with the frosting and sprinkles.
|jam thumbprint cookies
sending this recipe for the following event: