157. eggless marble banana cake
too many events to celebrate
August is a very busy… too many birthdays and anniversaries. Nimesh, Arti, Shruti, Chetan, Shreena and Nikhil’s anniversaries. The birthday list is endless… starting with Prina, Sanil, Ricky, Dillan, Atulkumar and Kamaleshkumar. Phew, that’s like a proper sugar high if I had decided to make something sweet on all those days. And then in between Rakshabandhan, Janmashtami and Eid. Did make a lot of sweet dishes this month and have ended it with an eggless marble banana cake. Enjoyed it with a glass of milk. Have it on its own or serve it with hot custard, ice cream or fresh cream. I found this recipe on treat and trick blog and have made slight changes.
EGGLESS MARBLE BANANA CAKE
1¼ cups plain flour
1 cup mashed banana (2 big bananas)
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup oil
2 tbsps cocoa powder
1 tsp grated orange rind
2 tbsps milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line or dust a baking loaf tin(small) or a pan 6X6 inches.
- Sieve flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Sieve the cocoa powder separately.
- Whisk the mashed bananas,milk, sugar and oil together.
- Add the orange rind and mix.
- Add the flour mixture and mix till the flour gets wet.
- Divide the batter into two parts.
- To one part of the batter add the cocoa powder. Mix it but not too much. May need to add an extra teaspoon of milk.
- Spoon both the batters into the tin. Place alternate lumps of it. Take a skewer or chopstick and swirl it gently if you like. I left mine in lumps.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or till the top is golden brown and a knife or toothpick pricked in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Take the pan out of the oven.Leave the cake in the tin for 10 minutes. Then remove it and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Add vanilla extract instead of orange rind.
- Top the cake with melted chocolate.
- To make other coloured marble cakes, omit the cocoa and add a few drops of the food colour of your preference.
- How to dust a pan, please refer to my recipe on brownies.