Wheat Orange Cookies
Theme : Redo Old Posts
BM#81 Week 4 Day 3
I simply love baking. The cookie bug has caught up with me and I have been baking cookies nearly everyday. Don’t get me wrong…. not the same recipe but different recipes which have been in my recipe book for eons. I baked some of the cookies for my relatives in Nairobi and they loved them. So here is the first recipe. Meera, bake these for your family, they are very easy. I have not taken out the cup measurement for the butter as transferring the soft butter to a cup is a messy job. I prefer to use the weighing scales for this. However, if you get 250g butter packets like we do here in Kenya, its very easy… half of that is required for the recipe. For all my local friends, I am taking orders for the cookies and muffins as I cannot bake all these goodies and have them on my own.
Since I posted this recipe, my cookie business didn’t last that long. I guess people prefer to buy the cheap processed, chemical infused, palm oil filled cookies. They found my home made cookies too expensive. If I’d been living in Nairobi then I probably would have a successful cookie business. People in Mombasa are just too conservative. Whether people buy my cookies or not, that has not stopped me from baking them as there’s nothing more comforting than a glass of cold milk and a cookie. I don’t like to serve coffee without a cookie. So most times, you’ll find a jar full of cookies in my home.
Anyway that’s water under the bridge. I’ve baked these particular cookies countless times. I just love the flavor of orange in them. I’ve also sometimes added nuts, raisins, other dried fruits and just recently when I baked these to give away as Diwali presents I added dried cranberries. I’ve sometimes used tangerine instead of orange. Its only this time when I baked them that I remembered to take fresh photos… I felt so ashamed with the first click I had taken, it was just really bad!
Go on bake these easy peasy tasty cookies and no don’t look for the first click… its deleted…its history:)
WHEAT ORANGE COOKIES
Yields about 30 pieces
2¼ cups wheat flour (atta)
1 tsp grated orange peel
½ cup sugar
½ tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup fresh orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sieve the flour with the baking powder and soda bicarbonate.
- Cream butter and sugar till it is pale in colour and fluffy.
- Add the orange juice and grated peel. Whisk well.
- Add the flour and using your hands make a dough.
- Divide the dough into 30 parts or so.
- Roll each part into a ball. Flatten it a bit between your palms.
- Place on a greased baking tray.Leave half an inch gap between the cookies. Repeat steps 7 and 8 with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or till the edges begin to brown.
- Leave the cookies on the hot tray for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove them from the tray and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Can use brown sugar.
- Instead of orange try lemon juice and grated lemon peel.
- If you like, you can flatten the cookie dough using a fork. The cookies will turn out flat and not dome shaped.
- Add ¼ cup of chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
- Wash and grate the peel before you take out the juice. Make sure you do not grate the white part as it is bitter. Save the extra zest or grated peel and store in the freezer to use for other baking recipes or for salads.
Pin for Later:
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
November 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Cookies look delicious, love the addition of orange peel, very flavorful and yummy.
Thanks a lot Mayuri ji for linking it to the CWS event waiting for more delicious and lovely entiries…
October 26, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Those are some yummy looking cookies Mayuri. Love the addition of orange in there.
October 27, 2017 at 5:35 pm
Simply love orange peel in anything, am sure this cookies will definitely please my tastebuds, scrumptious cookies.
October 30, 2017 at 2:50 am
Oh , I am sure the orange flavour in the cookies must have tasted amazing , I love citrus flavours in cookies and these would surely be a hit .
November 1, 2017 at 7:58 pm
Who can resist milk and cookies. Lovely combination.
November 3, 2017 at 1:41 am
Orange flavored cookies will be a hit with my little one.
November 3, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Those cookies looks straight out of bakery. Home baked stuffs are expensive and many times people don't understand that. Love the flavor of orange in the recipe. I am bookmarking the recipe to try soon.
November 6, 2017 at 5:53 pm
Wow…these look so professional Mayuri. My next bake for bakeathon is going to be this!!
August 25, 2019 at 12:18 am
Wow.. these orange flavoured cookies must be tasting so good. I am bookmarking them
August 25, 2019 at 10:21 am
Thank you so much Shobha.
Sarika Gunjal (Spice Zone)
August 25, 2019 at 6:56 am
love orange flavor in anything. These cookies look so yummy, would love to try it.
August 25, 2019 at 10:21 am
Thanks Sarika, please do try them. They are very flavorful.
August 27, 2019 at 1:02 pm
They look good and quite healthy from adding orange flavours. These are extremely healthy ..love the shots !!
August 27, 2019 at 1:13 pm
Renu Agrawal Dongre
August 27, 2019 at 1:35 pm
I am sure I would enjoy this, as I love the citrusy flavour in the bakes. The cookies look perfectly crunchy. I feel like grabbing one of the screen.
August 27, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Thank you so much Renu, I too love citrusy flavors in my cookies.
August 27, 2019 at 9:28 pm
I liked the addition of orange peels with orange flavor. These cookies are so well baked with beautiful texture.next in my baking list!!
August 29, 2019 at 12:24 pm