149. fresh coconut cookies
freshness in a nut
The next best aroma besides a fresh loaf baking is fresh coconut toasting or roasting. I love coconut and so obviously love coconut cookies, coconut chocolate, coconut chutney, coconut barfi. I could go on and on. Down at the coastal town of Mombasa we are blessed with an abundance of coconuts throughout the year. These coconut cookies are easy to make once you get past the stage of grating the coconut. I am lucky that Julius does that for me in minutes using the traditional coastal coconut grater.
updated photos : 18/08/2015
FRESH COCONUT COOKIES
makes about 16 to 18
¾ cup plain flour
¼ cup sugar
½ cup fresh grated coconut
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cardamom powder
extra butter for greasing the tray
- Preheat the oven at 180°C. Lightly grease a baking tray with butter.
- Sieve flour, cardamom powder and baking powder together.
- Cream butter and sugar together till it is light, fluffy and creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and coconut. Make a soft dough.
- Take about a full teaspoon of the dough. Roll it into a ball.
- Place it on the greased baking tray. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place the balls about an inch apart.
- Lightly press the balls with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 12 -15 minutes or until the cookies are light golden in colour at the edges.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Leave the cookies on the tray for 5 minutes and then transfer them onto a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an air tight container if any are left.
- Try adding grated orange peel instead of cardamom.
- The cookies will be a bit soft once they come out of the oven but will harden as they cool.
|coconut banana cashew muffins|
January 29, 2015 at 9:32 pm
you don't say what to do with or when to add the coconut to the dough!
January 30, 2015 at 5:05 pm
Sorry Anonymous. Rectified the instructions. Add the coconut along with the flour mixture.
August 18, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Awesome looking Cookies!!
Sandhya Rege Nadkarni
August 18, 2015 at 3:01 pm
Mayuri, I love coconut cookies too- it is something about the taste and the texture it lends to teh cookies and yours look yum! I like the addition of cardamom in it! I am drooling now:)
August 18, 2015 at 3:15 pm
I love the coconut flavour .. cookies look nice
August 18, 2015 at 4:01 pm
Cookies look yummy and a well explained recipe:)
August 18, 2015 at 5:00 pm
I love coconut and anything with coconut is my favorite! Shall be trying your recipe for sure 🙂
Thanks for sharing!
May 11, 2020 at 9:36 pm
Second time I ve made these cookies …… absolutely delicious
May 11, 2020 at 11:38 pm
Thank you so much Vimi for trying out my recipe. Next time if possible, share a picture please.