338. Wheat flour amritsari parathas
Rich, soft and delectable
When I made egg curry a few days ago, I wanted to make some different parathas from the normal ones that I make usually. Yes, as I mentioned before, I am going through my recipe book and trying to cook recipes that I have not made even once. Some of those pages are stained and have yellowed but I feel sad that I haven’t bothered to try them for so many years. Amritsari paratha was the target. The amritsari parathas I have tasted in India are dripping with ghee and very rich. I am glad I made the parathas as they came out really delectable. I love that the ingredient was wheat flour and not plain flour. Simple flaky parathas are scrumptious with any curry. Have the leftover parathas with a cup of masala tea.
WHEAT FLOUR AMRITSARI PARATHAS
3 cups wheat flour
3 tbsp melted ghee (clarified butter) or butter
1 tsp salt
1tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp ghee for kneading the dough
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup water
For the paste:
4 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp thick ghee or soft butter
oil or ghee for shallow frying
extra flour for rolling
- Sieve flour, baking powder and salt together into a big bowl.
- Add the melted ghee and rub it into the flour
- Add cumin seeds and form a dough using the water. The dough should not be too hard or too soft.
- Rub 1 tsp of ghee over the dough and knead it till the dough is soft and smooth.
- Cover the bowl with the dough in it and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the paste by mixing the plain flour and ghee.
- Heat the tawa or frying pan over low heat.
- Divide the dough into 10 parts. Form a ball from each part.
- Using a bit of the flour, roll the dough into a 6 to 7 inch circle.
- Smear a bit of the paste all over the rolled circle.
- Fold it into half. Smear paste over the folded half.
- Fold into a quarter. Roll into a triangle shape.
- Put the rolled paratha on the hot tawa. Cook till light brown specks appear.
- Turn and cook the other side till light brown specks appear.
- Drizzle about a teaspoon of oil or ghee around the paratha and cook both sides till it is golden brown and cooked.
- Repeat steps 9 to 15 with the remaining dough.
- Serve hot parathas with your favourite curry or dal.
|palak paneer paratha|