Watermelon Cucumber Salad
Event: Foodies_Redoing Old Posts
Recipe: Watermelon Cucumber Salad
Watermelon Cucumber Salad is a refreshingly delicious summer time salad. Easy to make, I love to drizzle homemade watermelon vinaigrette over it. Feta cheese pairs amazingly well with watermelon. If you don’t like feta then go for halloumi.
This summer I literally went crazy buying watermelon. They are simply so delicious, make an excellent healthy snack option. The watermelons I’ve bought so far have been sweet and most of them are seedless. That is not what we get back in Kenya. Watermelons have seeds.
I’ve carried this salad quite a few times for our picnic at the park. I pack the dressing in an empty jar and drizzle it over the salad just before we’re about to eat. Paired with some fresh baguette and chilled wine, it is a perfect light meal.
Some More Watermelon Recipes
Another summer watermelon based food we love to have is Watermelon Bruschetta.
The Group: Foodies_Redoing Old Posts
It is unbelievable that we’re into the 84th redoing old posts. I have missed a few but have been in this group since the beginning. If it were not for Renu’s initiative to begin this group, I might not have been able to redo so many of my old posts. Along with us Renu who blogs at Cook With Renu, gets her posted too updated.
This summer I took full advantage of the sweet watermelons available in the markets. Not only did I enjoy the fruit on its own but was able to redo some of my old posts. This Watermelon Cucumber Salad had horrible photos. Also added Watermelon Dressing to the existing post.
First Published on 27/11/2013. Updated on 16/09/2022
Ingredients Required For Watermelon Cucumber Salad
- Watermelon – removed the rind and chop the watermelon into cubes.
- Cucumber – I prefer using English or Persian Cucumber as the skin is thin and they don’t have those hard seeds.
- Salad Leaves – choose any salad leaves of your choice. Mixed, arugula, lettuce, romaine, spinach, etc.
- Mint Leaves – use fresh ones for full summery flavour.
- Onion – Peeled and sliced. Use any of your choice, red, white or yellow. If you want to, you can marinate the onion slices in the watermelon vinaigrette.
- Feta Cheese – crumbled, cubed. Can replace it with halloumi if you want to. Allow the halloumi to roast in some oil before adding to the salad.
- Olive Slices – can add whole ones if you want to. I prefer the sliced ones. Use any olives of your choice.
- Walnuts – or any other nuts of your choice. Roast them lightly on a pan or in the microwave oven for 40-60 seconds.
For The Dressing:
- Fresh watermelon juice – make sure you buy enough watermelon for both the salad and the dressing.
- Honey/ Maple Syrup – use any of your choice. I have maple syrup at hand so I’ve used that.
- Vinegar/ Lemon Juice – use any you wish. I have used lemon juice.
- Olive Oil –
- Salt – add according to your taste.
- Pepper Powder – add according to your taste.
WATERMELON CUCUMBER SALAD
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 cups watermelon cubes
- 1 cup cucumber slices
- ¼ cup onion slices thin
- 8-10 olives sliced
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 10-12 mint leaves chopped
- 6-8 walnuts roasted
- 2 cups salad leaves
FOR THE WATERMELON VINAIGRETTE:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup watermelon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup | honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- Mix the salad ingredients together.
- Cover with a cling film and store in the fridge till required. I prefer to do that so that we can enjoy chilled salad.
- Whisk the dressing and keep it ready.
- Just before serving, add the dressing and toss the salad lightly.
- Add fresh basil instead of mint.
- Use halloumi or any cheese of your choice instead of feta.
- Use salad leaves of your choice.
- Use any vinaigrette of your choice.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962