251. no bake granola bars
Granola bars are good tummy fillers as the oats makes you feel full for long periods of time. As we all know dried fruits and nuts are good for health for various reasons right from providing us with essential vitamins and minerals to protein. Granola bars are great energy providers for kids after a long session of physical activity. I make my own granola bars to travel with or just as a in between meals snack. Ready made granola bars have too much sugar, less nuts and fruits and some are made using margarine and other not so healthy fats. With home made granola bars you can increase or decrease the main ingredients like nuts and fruits, add other cereals. Basically you can make them to suit your taste. Its an excellent option for breakfast when you are on the go.
NO BAKE GRANOLA BARS
Makes 16 to 24 bars
2½ cups rolled quick oats
1½ cups chopped mixed nuts
¼ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup dried fruits (cranberries, blueberries, raisins, dates, figs, sultanas etc.)
6 tbsp soft butter
3 tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon powder
2 tbsp honey
8 tbsp golden syrup
½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
1.Put oats, nuts and coconut in a wide pan. Toast it over medium flame till you get the fragrance of the toasted coconut.
2.Take the pan off the heat and keep it on the side.
3. Add cinnamon powder and dried fruits to it and mix well.
4.Line a 7X11 inch tray with greaseproof paper or cling film.
5.Take a small pan. Add butter, sugar, honey and golden syrup to it.
6.Cook it over medium heat until it begins to boil. Let it boil for 1 or 2 minutes.
7.Pour the butter mixture into the oat mixture and mix well.
8.Spoon the mixture into the prepared tray. Level it out using a spoon or a spatula.
9.Pat it down with a steel bowl or the back of the glass.
10 Place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
11.Cut into squares or bars.
12. Wrap each bar or square with cling film or foil.
- Add chocolate chips to the oat mixture after you have toasted the mixture.
- If you want the bars to be less sugary, omit the sugar.
- Can use white sugar instead of brown.
- Make sure the butter mixture is cooked till it begins to boil, otherwise the bars will not set well.
- The granola bars tend to become soft in hot weather. I would recommend that you wrap them individually in foil or cling film and leave it in the fridge.
- Use nuts of your choice, like cashew nuts, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts etc.
- Use 2 cups of oats and ½ cup of rice crispies.
- Instead of cinnamon powder, use grated orange or lemon peel, vanilla extract etc.
- Add seeds if you wish like sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds etc.
- Drizzle the bars with melted chocolate if you like.
You may want to check out the following :
sending this recipe for the following event: