Chori turia shaak
When Dada was living in Mombasa, he would go to the market every Saturday. One of the vegetables he would always come home with was chori. It was his favourite vegetable and it had to be cooked with turia. Turia is a ridge gourd. Most Gujaratis will know what chori is. Easily available in India and Kenya, I have seen it at the Indian vegetable shops in UK. Chori (vigna sinensis) is also known as yard long bean, asparagus bean, chinese long bean or snake bean. These beans can be as long as a foot or more. They are pale to dark green in colour. Very simple to make, serve it with hot chapattis and a dal or lentil curry.
CHORI TURIA SHAAK (VEGETABLE)
4 cups chopped chori (about 500g)
2½ cups diced turia
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain, ajmo)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
½ to 1 tsp green chilli paste
1 tsp ginger paste
¼ tsp turmeric powder ( haldi)
a pinch of asafoetida
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander cumin powder (dhana jiru)
1 to 1¼ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp oil
3 tbsps chopped fresh coriander
- Wash the yard long beans. Trim both the ends and chop the beans into about a ¼ inch thickness. If you find some of the beans are not tender then open them up and remove the tender beans.Throw the peel away and use mix the beans with the chopped beans.
- Wash and peel the ridge gourd. Cut into cubes.
- Heat oil in a wide pan. When it is hot add mustard, cumin and carom seeds.
- When they begin to splutter add the chopped garlic. Stir fry till the garlic becomes light pink.
- Add ginger, chilli pastes, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Add the chopped turia and chori.
- Add salt and sugar and mix well.
- Cover and let the vegetables cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add dhana jiru and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander and serve.
- Can add red chilli powder if you like.
- Taste the ridge gourd from both ends before cutting. It can be bitter sometimes.
- To buy fresh ridge gourd, press it gently between your thumb and finger. If it is soft then its not fresh. Should be a bit firm.
- Buy ready made dhana jiru or follow my recipe. Check Nunu’s biryani
You may want to check out the following :
|masala (tikhi) puri|
Sending this recipe to the following event :