English Breakfast – OVO VEGETARIAN STYLE
#87TH BLOGGING MARATHON
THEME: EXPLORE THE FLAVORS – INTERNATIONAL BREAKFAST
“Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dine like a Pauper”
ENGLISH BREAKFAST -OVO VEGETARIAN STYLE
Ingredients for baked beans:
1 cup tinned baked beans
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp oil/butter
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or any herb of your choice
Ingredients for roasted potatoes:
2-3 large potatoes
¼ – ⅓ cup olive oil or any vegetable oil
1 tsp rosemary
1-1½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper powder
4-6 bread slices
2 large tomatoes
6-8 large mushrooms
a few avocado slices
2 tbsp butter for cooking
some butter, jam, tomato ketchup, salt and pepper
Preparation of the roasted potatoes:
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into chunks.
- Heat enough water in a pan.
- When it is boiling add ½ tsp salt from the measured salt.
- Add the cubed potatoes and let them cook just till they are little raw. Don’t over cook them.
- Drain out the water. Let the potatoes cool down a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Add oil, herbs and salt. Mix well till the potatoes are coated with the oil.
- Spread the potato cubes on a baking tray.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, turning them in between, till they turn golden brown.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Saute onion and garlic till the onion is soft.
- Add the baked beans, red chili powder and coriander or herbs of your choice. Mix well.
- Let it become hot. Make sure to stir in between so that the sauce does not burn.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a kitchen towel. Brush them lightly with butter.
- Cut the tomatoes into half.
- Place the mushrooms, stems facing up and tomatoes with cut side facing up in the baking tray just when 10 minutes of roasting time for potatoes is left. Put a small blob of butter on each tomato half. Place the tray in the oven for the potatoes to finish roasting and for the tomatoes and mushrooms to get roasted.
- Prepare required amount of toast in your toaster.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add a bit of butter. Prepare sunny side up or an omelet, whatever you prefer. Make 2 or 4 depending on how much you want.
- Put the fried egg or omelet in the plate. Surround it with baked beans, roasted tomatoes, potatoes, mushrooms and finally some avocado slices. Add some toast or serve it on the side.
- Serve this hearty breakfast with fresh orange juice and tea. Don’t forget to serve with the condiments.
- You may serve this breakfast with crumpets instead of toast.
- These days a Spanish omelet is served instead of fried eggs or plain omelet.
- Serve with hash browns if you like.
Sending this recipe to the following event: