691.Veg Protein Burrito Bowl
MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON -SEPT 2017
#80TH BLOGGING MARATHON
THEME: PROTEIN RICH DISHES
Why is it important to include protein in our diet? Before I can explain the importance of protein, its imperative to know that proteins are of two kinds – complete proteins and incomplete proteins.
Complete proteins means all 9 amino acids, the building blocks of protein are present such as meats. Most plant based proteins do not have all 9 amino acids present so it becomes important to mix your plant based proteins to get the maximum amount of protein requirement.
We must include protein in our daily diet for the following reasons:
- All the cells in our bodies are composed of protein. These cells need protein to maintain and repair themselves.
- Every day must include protein as the body cannot store protein like the way its stores carbohydrates.
- Protein provides energy.
- Protein helps to stabilize blood sugar in our body.
- Protein rich diets helps you to feel more satiated and less hungry in a short time.
- Helps to build and maintain muscle mass.
- Promotes healthy brain function and learning as proteins are needed to make enzymes, hormones and neurotransmitters.
- Proteins help to maintain strong bones.
- Protein rich food helps to lower the bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels therefore promoting a healthy heart.
- Improves metabolism.
By no means am I claiming or supporting any sort of fad diet that are the latest craze in the fitness world. I’m just trying to include non meat non fish dishes from which you can get your protein source.
VEG PROTEIN BURRITO BOWL
For the rice layer:
1 cup brown rice
2½ cups water
1 tsp salt
½ cup chopped spring onion
¼ cup fresh tomato puree, thick
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp garlic paste
1-2 green chilli chopped or jalapeño
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cayenne powder
½ tbsp oil
For the chickpeas:
2 cups boiled chickpeas (kabuli chana)
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tbsp garlic
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
For the corn:
2 cups boiled corn kernels
1-2 tbsp lime juice
½ tsp salt
1 tsp chipotle powder
For the lime yogurt:
1-1½ cups thick yogurt
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander or cilantro stalks
1 cup tomato salsa sauce
1 avocado, sliced
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (coriander, dhania)
Optional add ins:
Preparation of the rice:
- Wash the rice till the water is clear.
- Add 2½ cups of water, ½ tsp salt and rice into a deep saucepan.
- Place it over high heat. When the water begins to boil, lower the heat.
- Cover the pan and let the rice cook till done.
- Remove the rice into a plate of tray.
- Spread it out gently with a fork so that it can cool.
- Heat oil in a wide pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Add spring onion, chopped chilli and garlic and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add tomato puree, salt, cayenne powder and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Add the rice and mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and stir fry till it becomes soft.
- Add garlic paste and mix.
- Add chickpeas, salt, cumin, coriander and paprika powder.
- Mix well and take the pan off the heat.
- Mix salt, lime juice and chipotle into the corn kernels.
- Mix salt, sugar, coriander stalks and lime into the thick yogurt. Chill it till required.
- Prepare the salsa. Check for recipe here.
- Grate cheese if you’re using any.
- Warm up the rice and the chickpea mixture.
- Spoon the rice into 4 deep bowls.
- Divide the chickpea mixture equally and add it to the bowl.
- Add the corn.
- Add avocado slices.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top.
- Serve the burrito bowls with the lime yogurt and tomato salsa.
- You can prepare white rice instead of brown.
- Use guacamole instead of yogurt.
- Can sprinkle cheese on top if using any.
Day 1 – Mixed Dal Paddu
Day 2 – Fruit and Nut Yogurt Parfait
Day 3 – Moong and Spinach Muthia
Day 4 – Paneer and Naan Bites
Day 5 – Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
Day 6 – Nectarine and French Bean Quinoa Salad
Day 7 – Tofu Wraps
Day 8 – Sai Bhaji
Check out what other Mega Blogging Marathoners have made for Day 9:
Sending this recipe to the following event:
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 80
September 11, 2017 at 5:17 am
Oh wow ! Beautiful protein bowl with a burst of flavors ! I could happily finish this , loving the lime yogurt , must try to make these bowls , they are wholesome meals .
September 11, 2017 at 8:35 am
Wow that burrito bowl looks so classic!..very nicely platted…and nice reading so much on the topic.
Sharmila- The Happie Friends Potpourri corner
September 11, 2017 at 10:28 am
Always love Burrito bowls for its yummy ingredients used.. You have made it just the way i love.. Awesome share!!
September 11, 2017 at 11:11 am
Wow, I am literally drooling over the veg chickpea brown rice burrito bowl. Love reading the healthy tips.
September 11, 2017 at 3:29 pm
It was great the amazing benefits of protein. Loved it and oh yeah the burrito bowl too. That avocado and chick peas of so yum
September 11, 2017 at 5:24 pm
That is a drool worthy bowl. Such a filling and nutritious meal!
September 11, 2017 at 5:31 pm
wow, seriously that ve protein burrito bowl is tempting me to the core. Feel like finishing that bowl rite now. Ultimate.
September 12, 2017 at 12:40 am
This looks super awesome, loved it!
September 12, 2017 at 6:47 am
That is an interesting read on proteins Mayuri. Love these burrito bowls. A perfect bowl for a filling meal.
September 12, 2017 at 10:19 am
we love mexican, but its too demanding with prep work ! if someone were to make me that bowl, would happily dig in ! yummy …
September 12, 2017 at 10:53 am
Wow what a delightful burst of flavors here. Absolutely love it
September 12, 2017 at 2:41 pm
I love love burrito bowls. It's so filling and delicious. Love your take on it!
Anlet Prince – Annslittlecorner
September 13, 2017 at 11:40 am
This is a Colorful recipe. A treat to the eyes as well as a treat of protein as well.
September 16, 2017 at 4:40 pm
A very wholesome and flavor packed meal. Love your serveware MAyuri
September 28, 2017 at 3:46 am
Beautiful bowl… Very colorful. Loved it