544.Chocolate Orange Swirl Buns
Chocolate Orange Swirl Buns#Bread Bakers
Not only is the combination of chocolate and orange heavenly, lovely, delish, flavourful but the aroma is just out of this world especially when baking. When Shireen Sequeira of Ruchik Randhap set the theme of baking with cocoa, cacao, carob in any form for the month of March, I was in a bit of dilemma. Have baked muffins, quick breads, bundt with cocoa. Don’t like carob at all. So I thought of a yeast bake but using cocoa, carob or cacao in a yeast bread, I was a bit apprehensive. Will it turn out too chocolatey, or just right? So the hunt for a recipe started. I knew it had to a yeast based bake though I so desperately wanted to make a quick bread, a safer option. My search took me to smitten kitchen.com and chocolate orange swirl buns was decided on. A recipe with probably just the right amount of chocolate. The buns turned out really good with the orange and chocolate combination of flavours. I’ve frozen half of them, the rest hubby and I had them for breakfast over the weekend. So without too much of rambling I’ll get to the recipe. (To tell you the truth, its just too hot to think and type!)
CHOCOLATE ORANGE SWIRL BUNS
Recipe source : Smitten Kitchen
For the dough:
2½ cups all purpose flour (plain flour)
¼ cup sugar *
¾ cup warm milk
2 tsp dry instant active yeast
1 large egg – room temperature
¼ tsp salt
3 tbsp butter – room temperature
1 tbsp orange zest (grated orange rind)
extra flour for kneading and rolling
extra butter for greasing
little milk for brushing
3 tbsp soft butter
¼ cup sugar
200g dark chocolate -grated
1 tbsp orange zest (grated orange rind)
a generous pinchof sea salt
- Mix flour, sugar, zest, salt and yeast in a big bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and rub it into the flour.
- Mix egg and milk.
- Add the egg milk mixture and form a dough.
- Dust the work top with little flour and knead the dough.
- Add little butter at intervals till its all used up.
- Knead till you get a smooth and silky dough, for about 10 -15 minutes by hand or about 7-10 minutes by machine. If the dough sticks too much add a little more flour.
- Shape the dough into a round ball and place it in a greased bowl.
- Place the bowl in a warm place and let the dough rise for 1½ hr or till its double the size.
- Grease a muffin tray lightly with butter.
- Dust the worktop with little flour and gently fold the dough.
- Roll it into a rectangle of 12″ X 16″.
- Sprinkle the sugar even over the rolled rectangle.
- Sprinkle the grated chocolate over it.
- Finally sprinkle the orange zest and sea salt over it.
- Starting from the short side, roll the dough tightly , like a swiss roll.
- Pinch the seam.
- Cut into 1″ thick slices with a serrated knife.
- Place the cut slices in the muffin tray.
- Cover the tray with a cloth or cling film, lightly.
- Let the buns rise till they are double in size or for 30- 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Brush the top with milk.
- Bake the buns for 15-20 minutes or till the top of the buns are light golden colour.
- Remove the buns from the muffin tray and let them cool on a wire rack.
- You can add cinnamon instead of orange zest.
- Rolling the dough out to an 18-20 inch length means you can get more swirls.
- I made the mistake of sprinkling the chocolate right till the edge, so quite a bit oozed out.
Breads with Cocoa, Cacao or Carob in any form
- Chocolate & Cherry Swirl Breads from The Bread She Bakes
- Chocolate Orange Swirl Buns from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Chocolate and Vanilla Brioche from Kidsandchic
- Chocolate Banana Quick Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Buttermilk Quick Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Filled Bundt Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Monkey Bread from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Quick Bread from Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls from From Gate to Plate
- Chocolate Yeast Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Croatian Povitica – Chocolate Walnut Swirl Bread from Herbivore Cucina
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Pocket Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Dark Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Buns from Baking in Pyjamas
- Double Chocolate Espresso Scones from Wholistic Woman
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Egg Free 45 Minutes Chocolate Buns from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Eggless Chocolate Babka from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Eggless Chocolate Swirl Buns from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Eggless Triple Chocolate Scones from Spill the Spices
- Four-Chocolate Sour Cream Quickbread from What Smells So Good?
- Leopard Print Bread from Spiceroots
- Pain Au Chocolat (Chocolate filled Croissants) from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Pane Al Cioccolato – Chocolate Bread from Ruchik Randhap
- Petits Pain au Chocolat – Mini Chocolate Croissant from Sneha’s Recipe
- Sourdough Cacao Sweet Bread from The Schizo Chef
- Sweet Russian Chocolate Braid from Hostess At Heart
- Two Chocolates Greek Yogurt Banana Bread from La cocina de Aisha
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.