Mango Paneer Salad
Mangoes eaten on its own, as dessert, in a salad, aam ras, smoothies, pickles, jams…. whichever way you have it, tastes amazingly delicious. We are so lucky as the mango season is just going on and on. Lovely juicy apple mangoes as they are called here, are sweet and aromatic. Ok, I have intentions of making all my family and friends living in the temperate and freezing zones jealous, but no amount of praises for this fruit is enough. To beat the heat I made some salad and worked around ingredients that were at home. Some people do not like fruit in their salads but I feel that it makes the salad more exotic, appealing and interesting. Textures and taste vary with each bite. So I will stop raving about the exotic fruit and share the recipe with you.
MANGO PANEER SALAD
2 servings as a light lunch or 4 as an accompaniment
1 cup diced ripe mango which has been peeled
1 cup paneer cubes (100g)
1 small onion, diced
½ cup cucumber, diced
10 to 12 cashew nuts
2 cups of lettuce leaves or baby spinach
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
generous pinch of salt
1/8tsp chilli powder
Orange Ginger Dressing:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
1tbsp lemon juice
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ginger paste
¼ tsp coarse pepper powder
½ tsp grated orange peel
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing and keep it on the side in a bowl.
- Add to the chopped onion, lemon juice, pinch of salt and chilli powder.
- Mix well and marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a wide pan over medium heat. I prefer a non stick pan.
- When the oil becomes hot, add the paneer and let it become light golden brown on the underside.
- Turn the pieces over and let the other side become light golden in colour.
- Remove the paneer from the pan and place it on a kitchen towel. Sprinkle ¼ tsp salt over the paneer and mix well.
- Let it cool down completely.
- In the same pan lightly roast the cashew nuts over low heat till they become pinkish.
- Remove them from the pan and place them on a kitchen towel till they are cool.
- Mix mango, paneer, cashew nuts, cucumber and lettuce pieces. Add the salad dressing.
- Toss and serve.
- Add about ¼ cup of sun dried tomatoes if you like. I didn’t add any as they are not available here.
- Add any fresh herbs like mint or basil if you like. I didn’t add any as I wanted the orange and ginger taste to come through with each bite.
- Use salad leaves of your choice.
- Instead of cashew nuts you can add almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts etc.