eggless chocolate muffins
for chocolate fans
Usually for Diwali, we tend to give some money or a bag of maizemeal to people who work for us directly or indirectly, tirelessly throughout the year. Moving into an apartment means more people to treat…. security people, sweepers, cleaners, vegetable, milk vendors etc etc. Due to popular demand, this year most asked for a cake and nothing else. I baked a huge batch of chocolate muffins. I couldn’t do the frosting as I didn’t have time. The muffins tasted equally good without it. Simple and a hassle free recipe.
EGGLESS CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
Makes 12 medium ones
1½ cups all purpose flour (plain flour)
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda (soda bicarbonate)
½ tsp salt
1 cup water
½ cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or any vinegar
For Icing or Frosting:
1 cup whipping cream
2-4 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3 -4 tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tray or moulds with paper cups.
- Sieve flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda together.
- In another bowl add sugar, water, oil, vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Whisk the liquid mixture till it becomes a bit frothy.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just so that the flour gets wet. Do not over mix.
- The batter will be a bit runny.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups. Fill ¾ of the way.
- Bake the muffins in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Prick the middle of a muffin with a toothpick or fork. If it comes out clean then the muffins are ready.
- Remove the muffins from the oven. Let them cool for 5 minutes in the tray or moulds.
- Remove the muffins from the tray and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Mix cocoa powder and hot water till you get a smooth mixture. Let it cool down a bit.
- Add cocoa mixture, sugar and vanilla extract to the cream. Use a tall bowl or container if possible.
- Whip the cream till soft peaks can be formed.
- Put the whipped cream into an icing bag.
- Using a star nozzle, pipe the cream onto the muffins.
- Add grated orange or lemon zest instead of vanilla extract.
- Add about ½ cup of chocolate chips to the batter before baking.
- Add chocolate sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking.
- Pour melted chocolate over the muffins when they become cold instead of the frosting.