207. eggless chocolate muffins
for chocolate fans
Usually for Diwali, we tend to give some money or a bag of maizemeal to people who work for us directly or indirectly, tirelessly throughout the year. Moving into an apartment means more people to treat…. security people, sweepers, cleaners, vegetable, milk vendors etc etc. Due to popular demand, this year most asked for a cake and nothing else. I baked a huge batch of chocolate muffins. I couldn’t do the frosting as I didn’t have time. The muffins tasted equally good without it. Simple and a hassle free recipe.
EGGLESS CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
Makes about 12 to 15
1½ cups all purpose flour (plain flour)
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda (soda bicarbonate)
½ tsp salt
1 cup water
½ cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or any vinegar
Frosting if you want to use :
4 oz dark chocolate
2/3 (two third) cup butter (approx 11 tbsps)
11/3 cup powdered or icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tray or moulds with paper cups.
- Sieve flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda together.
- In another bowl add sugar, water, oil, vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Whisk the liquid mixture till it becomes a bit frothy.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just so that the flour gets wet. Do not over mix.
- The batter will be a bit runny.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups. Fill ¾ of the way.
- Bake the muffins in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Prick the middle of a muffin with a toothpick or fork. If it comes out clean then the muffins are ready.
- Remove the muffins from the oven. Let them cool for 5 minutes in the tray or moulds.
- Remove the muffins from the tray and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Heat water in a saucepan.
- Take a bowl that will sit on top of the saucepan.
- Add chocolate to it and place the bowl on top of the hot water. The water should not touch the bowl.
- Mix the chocolate till it melts.
- Remove the bowl from the pan. Let the chocolate become cold.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla extract together till it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the melted chocolate and whisk well.
- Ice the muffins when they are cold.
- Add grated orange or lemon zest instead of vanilla extract.
- Add about ½ cup of chocolate chips to the batter before baking.
- Add chocolate sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking.
- Pour melted chocolate over the muffins when they become cold instead of the frosting.