88. ruby pink delight
Grapefruit is available in abundance, both the local and imported ones. I prefer using the local pomelo. It tends to taste less bitter. The segments may not be as pink as the ones in the photo but I got lucky. If you like, you can use proper grapefruit. The tanginess of the grapefruit and sweetness from honey is a wonderful combination.
GRAPEFRUIT /POMELO ONION SALAD
1 cup grapefruit segments
2 handfuls of greens, any of your choice
½ medium or 1 small white onion
¼ cup roasted walnut pieces
8 to 10 mint leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp honey
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp coarse pepper powder
- Remove the membrane from the grapefruit segments.
- Slice the onion thinly.
- Tear the green leaves into smaller pieces if they are big.
- Chop the mint.
- Whisk all the ingredients of the dressing together.
- Put the grapefruit segments, walnuts, leaves, onions and mint into a serving plate.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and serve.
- I prefer to put the grapefruit segments in the fridge before adding to the salad. On a hot day a cool salad tastes yum.
- Can add nuts of your choice.