Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast
EVENT: A- Z RECIPE CHALLENGE
THEME : AN INGREDIENT BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER T
RECIPE: ROASTED TOMATO & RICOTTA TOAST
Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast is warm toast slathered with ricotta cheese and topped with garlicky roasted tomatoes. Perfectly enjoyable as breakfast, or served with some soup as a light meal option.
Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast
This one one of my favorite ways to enjoy fresh seasonal tomatoes. The first time I tasted roasted tomato & ricotta toast was as a brunch option in Montreal. On the side had poached eggs, some salad greens and roasted potato chunks. That brunch sat happily in my tummy till evening! I’ve tried this recipe with the normal big tomatoes roasted but it doesn’t taste the same. Got to find some baby cherry, grape or plum tomatoes to enjoy this dish. Nowadays its pretty easy to get baby tomatoes in Mombasa, so occasionally this is our brunch or light dinner. To serve as a starter or appetizer, use small slices of bread.
Some Tomato Recipes you may be interested in
- Naga Tomato Chutney
- Tomato and Garlic Focaccia
- Tomato Omelette
- Caprese Stuffed Portobello
- Beetroot Tomato Juice
- Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes
- Tomato Carrot Soup
- Beetroot Tomato Soup
- Tomato Salsa
A bit about the group
A – Z Recipe Challenge group started by fellow bloggers Vidya and Jolly, is themed based. This month we have to use any ingredient whose English name begins with T. Plenty of options here, starting with tea, tomatoes, turmeric, tamarind, tapioca, tempeh, tofu, tarragon, thyme, tree tomato, etc. My initial idea was to use tree tomato which a popular fruit in Kenya. However, when I decided to make a dish with them, didn’t get them! Also known as tamarillo they are used to make refreshing drinks, sauces, and in desserts. So till I get a batch of tree tomatoes, not complaining about sharing Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast with you all.
Ingredients Required for Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast
- Baby Tomatoes – any of your choice. Can use other colored ones too.
- Bread Slices – any good quality bread. I sometimes use home baked bread or buy from the store. Use any type of bread of your choice. When using home made bread I prefer using Semolina Bread as it toasts pretty well. Also bear in mind that you don’t want really hard toast. A slightly soft and warm toast works well.
- Ricotta Cheese – ricotta cheese is generally tasteless. You can either whip it a bit of milk or using a fork and mash it up to get crumbled texture. If you don’t get ricotta cheese a good substitute is paneer or feta cheese. If you use feta cheese don’t add too much salt to the roasted tomatoes.
- Olive Oil – to roast the tomatoes and to brush on the bread slices.
- Garlic – sliced
- Salt – I have used sea salt. Use any salt of your choice.
- Pepper Powder – I prefer using coarse pepper powder.
- Oregano – can use either fresh or dried. I used dried.
- Chilli Flakes – optional. We love to add a bit.
ROASTED TOMATO & RICOTTA TOAST
- 4 - 6 slices bread
- 250 g baby tomatoes (approx. a cupful)
- ½ tsp oregano dried
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli flakes
- 100 -150 g ricotta cheese (approx. ½ cup)
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Switch on the broiler or grill of the oven to 200°C.
- First, wash the tomatoes. Wipe them dry with a kitchen towel.
- Line a baking tray with some parchment paper.
- Take a small oven proof dish and add the tomatoes.
- Add to the tomatoes 2 tbsp olive oil, chopped garlic, oregano and salt. Mix well.
- Brush one side of the slices with the remaining oil. Save some to brush on the other side.
- Arrange the bread slices on the prepared tray. One the side also put the oven dish with the tomatoes in it.
- Roast the bread slices and tomatoes for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven, quickly turn over the bread slices. Brush them with the remaining olive oil.
- Return the tray to the oven and roast for another 5 -10 minutes. Make sure the bread slices do not get burnt.
- In the meantime mash the ricotta cheese in a bowl.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Add pepper powder and chilli flakes to the roasted tomatoes and mix carefully.
- You will see a bit of the flavoured olive oil in the dish with tomatoes.
- Spoon that liquid to the ricotta cheese and mix.
- Apply the ricotta cheese on the toasted slices.
- Divide the roasted tomatoes according to the number of bread slices toasted.
- Top the ricotta with the roasted tomatoes and serve immediately.
- Can garnish with fresh basil, mint or oregano.
- The number of slices required will depend on the size.
- Use any bread of your choice.
- Add herbs of your choice.
- Replace ricotta with paneer or feta if you wish.
- To serve as a starter, use small slices of bread like baguette.
Pin for Later
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
January 10, 2021 at 4:45 am
Toasted bread topped with ricotta cheese and roasted tomatoes makes a healthy and guilt free snack . Looks so vibrant and inviting. Who can ever resist the temptation of grabbing one. I will make it for my hubby.
January 12, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Thank you so much Shobha, it makes a wonderful filling brunch. You can add herbs and spices to the ricotta according to your taste.
January 15, 2021 at 12:14 pm
I love the taste and flavor of cherry tomatoes especially when they are roasted / baked and pop open, lending their juices and tangy taste to the toast. Perfect food for winters with a side of soup.
January 15, 2021 at 9:23 pm
Thank you so much Vidya and yes the juice from the roasted tomatoes and oil adds so much flavor.
The Girl Next Door
January 15, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Yum! Such an inviting snack that looks absolutely delicious! I would love to have these any time of the day. 😀 The grilled tomatoes must have added so much of flavour to the dish.
January 15, 2021 at 9:17 pm
Thanks Archana, I love grilled tomatoes, and this toast tastes really good.
January 18, 2021 at 1:49 pm
I like open sandwiches/toasts like this one because we can enjoy the ingredients with the eyes before we taste them. This toast will be filling and healthy; just the kind of evening snack that I like.
January 18, 2021 at 8:13 pm
Thank you Aruna, it is filling and healthy. We love to enjoy it for breakfast or as light dinner with soup.
January 20, 2021 at 8:19 am
roasted veggies bring out flavours which are so deep and intense.. loved the idea of these toasts with ricotta n roasted tomatoes…
January 20, 2021 at 4:35 pm
Thank you so much Kalyani.
January 20, 2021 at 8:55 pm
That’s true Mayuriji, cherry or plum tomatoes are the best to use on this toast.. I too love the flavour of roasted cherry tomatoes which goes best on toasts like these. Your inviting pics are tempting me make this for this weekend dinner..
January 20, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Thank you so much Swati. Please do try the recipe, am sure your family will enjoy it.
January 24, 2021 at 4:59 pm
Mayuriji, first of all love the image and the way how all the ingredients pop and looks appealing. Generally my family is a fan of roasted vegetables and this definitely looks like a great flavourful snack option. Thanks for sharing such a simple yet tasty recipe.
January 24, 2021 at 5:19 pm
Thank you so much Geetha, we love to have it for breakfast. I agree with you, its easy and tasty.
January 25, 2021 at 7:07 am
I am so sure these are bursting out in flavour for the first bite itself. What a lovely appetizer to start a party with as well, yumm perfect!!
January 25, 2021 at 3:40 pm
Thank you so much Seema.
January 28, 2021 at 4:24 am
Oh, gosh. I LOVE bruschetta so much but somehow never get around to making it as often as I’d like. I just love how simple and fresh this recipe is! I’m so trying this awesome-looking bruschetta recipe after my all home shifting! Gorgeous photos! 🙂 Pinned.
January 28, 2021 at 4:33 pm
Thank you so much Jolly, enjoy the roasted tomato & ricotta toast when you try it.
January 29, 2021 at 7:50 am
Roasted cherry tomatoes with ricotta cheese on toast sounds like a flavorful treat! A perfect party starter for all ages with an absolutely simple recipe. Your gorgeous pics making it all the more desirable.
January 29, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Thank you so much Poonam, it also makes a wonderful brunch idea.
February 16, 2021 at 2:43 pm
This is such a perfect recipe for just about any occasion, whether entertaining or breakfast! I love the idea of the chilli flakes, I am definitely going to be doing that when I try this recipe!
February 16, 2021 at 5:54 pm
Thank you so much Azlin, I just couldn’t resist adding them for a bit of kick!