Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast
EVENT: A- Z RECIPE CHALLENGE
THEME : AN INGREDIENT BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER T
RECIPE: ROASTED TOMATO & RICOTTA TOAST
Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast is warm toast slathered with ricotta cheese and topped with garlicky roasted tomatoes. Perfectly enjoyable as breakfast, or served with some soup as a light meal option.
Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast
This one one of my favorite ways to enjoy fresh seasonal tomatoes. The first time I tasted roasted tomato & ricotta toast was as a brunch option in Montreal. On the side had poached eggs, some salad greens and roasted potato chunks. That brunch sat happily in my tummy till evening! I’ve tried this recipe with the normal big tomatoes roasted but it doesn’t taste the same. Got to find some baby cherry, grape or plum tomatoes to enjoy this dish. Nowadays its pretty easy to get baby tomatoes in Mombasa, so occasionally this is our brunch or light dinner. To serve as a starter or appetizer, use small slices of bread.
Some Tomato Recipes you may be interested in
- Naga Tomato Chutney
- Tomato and Garlic Focaccia
- Tomato Omelette
- Caprese Stuffed Portobello
- Beetroot Tomato Juice
- Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes
- Tomato Carrot Soup
- Beetroot Tomato Soup
- Tomato Salsa
A bit about the group
A – Z Recipe Challenge group started by fellow bloggers Vidya and Jolly, is themed based. This month we have to use any ingredient whose English name begins with T. Plenty of options here, starting with tea, tomatoes, turmeric, tamarind, tapioca, tempeh, tofu, tarragon, thyme, tree tomato, etc. My initial idea was to use tree tomato which a popular fruit in Kenya. However, when I decided to make a dish with them, didn’t get them! Also known as tamarillo they are used to make refreshing drinks, sauces, and in desserts. So till I get a batch of tree tomatoes, not complaining about sharing Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast with you all.
Ingredients Required for Roasted Tomato & Ricotta Toast
- Baby Tomatoes – any of your choice. Can use other colored ones too.
- Bread Slices – any good quality bread. I sometimes use home baked bread or buy from the store. Use any type of bread of your choice. When using home made bread I prefer using Semolina Bread as it toasts pretty well. Also bear in mind that you don’t want really hard toast. A slightly soft and warm toast works well.
- Ricotta Cheese – ricotta cheese is generally tasteless. You can either whip it a bit of milk or using a fork and mash it up to get crumbled texture. If you don’t get ricotta cheese a good substitute is paneer or feta cheese. If you use feta cheese don’t add too much salt to the roasted tomatoes.
- Olive Oil – to roast the tomatoes and to brush on the bread slices.
- Garlic – sliced
- Salt – I have used sea salt. Use any salt of your choice.
- Pepper Powder – I prefer using coarse pepper powder.
- Oregano – can use either fresh or dried. I used dried.
- Chilli Flakes – optional. We love to add a bit.
ROASTED TOMATO & RICOTTA TOAST
- 4 - 6 slices bread
- 250 g baby tomatoes (approx. a cupful)
- ½ tsp oregano dried
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli flakes
- 100 -150 g ricotta cheese (approx. ½ cup)
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Switch on the broiler or grill of the oven to 200°C.
- First, wash the tomatoes. Wipe them dry with a kitchen towel.
- Line a baking tray with some parchment paper.
- Take a small oven proof dish and add the tomatoes.
- Add to the tomatoes 2 tbsp olive oil, chopped garlic, oregano and salt. Mix well.
- Brush one side of the slices with the remaining oil. Save some to brush on the other side.
- Arrange the bread slices on the prepared tray. One the side also put the oven dish with the tomatoes in it.
- Roast the bread slices and tomatoes for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven, quickly turn over the bread slices. Brush them with the remaining olive oil.
- Return the tray to the oven and roast for another 5 -10 minutes. Make sure the bread slices do not get burnt.
- In the meantime mash the ricotta cheese in a bowl.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Add pepper powder and chilli flakes to the roasted tomatoes and mix carefully.
- You will see a bit of the flavoured olive oil in the dish with tomatoes.
- Spoon that liquid to the ricotta cheese and mix.
- Apply the ricotta cheese on the toasted slices.
- Divide the roasted tomatoes according to the number of bread slices toasted.
- Top the ricotta with the roasted tomatoes and serve immediately.
- Can garnish with fresh basil, mint or oregano.
- The number of slices required will depend on the size.
- Use any bread of your choice.
- Add herbs of your choice.
- Replace ricotta with paneer or feta if you wish.
- To serve as a starter, use small slices of bread like baguette.
Pin for Later
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962