Chocolate Dipped Frozen Bananas
Healthy Dessert For Kids
During my last trip to Montreal, during the weekend we decided to go to the Old Port area. It was bustling with people, it was a very hot sunny day, many food trucks were around selling food, desserts etc, stalls selling hats, sunglasses, souvenirs, and so many things. While most of the Canadians and tourists were enjoying the sweltering sun, I was looking for some place to sit under the shade. I cannot bear really hot weather. It just zaps all my energy and I feel so sluggish. I finally found some place on the bench under a tree and right in front of the truck selling chocolate dipped frozen bananas. The choice was to stand in the long line in the sun to get that or just sit under the tree. However, I so wanted to try the frozen banana dessert. Never had it before. The foodie in me got the better of me and I waited in the sun patiently for my turn. The wait was worth the while. It was so cooling, healthy, filling and delicious.
After that I’ve made this treat twice. Its so easy and kids love the bite size. They prefer the sprinkle ones but I love the nut ones. My tasters the second time round were neighbors kids. In no time the whole tray vanished. Its good that my neighbors didn’t mind me treating their kids to this delicious treat. Now whenever they see me they ask “aunty when are you making banana chocolate ice cream again?”
Its a great dessert treat for adults too. The bite size makes its just the right portion to ward off sugar pangs. I used a mixture of chopped nuts. You can use whatever you prefer. During the summer holidays if kids demand some dessert make these healthy chocolate dipped frozen bananas for them.
CHOCOLATE DIPPED FROZEN BANANAS
Makes 18 bite size pieces
1 cup (approx 150g) dark or milk chocolate chips
¼ cup chopped mixed nuts
¼ cup desiccated coconut
¼ cup sprinkles or funfettis
1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- Put the chocolate chips into a heatproof bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave oven or over a double boiler.
- For double boiler make sure the bowl sits snuggly in a pan without touching the bottom of the pan.
- Add some water in the pan.
- Heat it till its hot.
- Place the bowl of chocolate over the hot water.
- Mix till he chocolate melts.
- Add coconut oil and mix well.
- Peel and cut the bananas into bite size thick slices. I cut 6 from each banana.
- Line a tray with parchment paper.
- Dip a banana piece in the melted chocolate.
- Using a fork remove it from the chocolate. Tap the fork against the bowl to remove excess chocolate.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts or desiccated coconut or the sprinkles.
- Place it on the prepared tray.
- Insert a cocktail stick in the middle.
- Repeat steps 11-15 with the remaining banana pieces.
- Use on type of topping or a variety.
- Place the tray in the freezer and let the banana pieces freeze for 2-3 hours before you serve them.
- If you are using one type of topping then you will need more quantity than that indicated in the ingredients.
- I used a separate fork for different topping. Its best to hold the chocolate dipped banana with a fork and sprinkle the topping. Dipping in the topping is just too messy.
- Use nuts of your choice.
- Don’t leave the frozen bananas out to thaw as they will taste mushy.
|Chocolate Coated Strawberries