Milk Pudding with Jelly
Recipe: Milk Pudding With Jelly
Milk Pudding With Jelly is milk based creamy pudding with jelly. To make it a Valentine’s Day special, added some heart shaped red jelly.
Today’s recipe is a simple milk pudding served with jelly. I had previously tried this pudding using a whole sweetened condensed milk tin with the milk. The pudding turned out just too sweet. So this time I reduced the condensed milk, added sugar according to my taste. I have used agar agar powder to set the pudding and vegetarian jelly, making this dessert gelatin free.
Happy Valentine’s Day
“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” Lao Tzu
Hubby’s Idea Of Love
This is so true.It is my hubby’s love that gives me strength to do want I want. Loving him gives me the courage to overcome any difficulties. My hubby has never been the flowers, chocolates, teddy bear type of person. Yesterday after watching the movie Raees we went for lunch to a famous Italian restaurant. We were sitting next to the very tempting choices of gelato but he didn’t ask me if I wanted some as Valentine’s Day is around the corner. In all our 34 years of marriage I received only one valentine’s card from him and that too when he was away doing his dermatology course. I bet the younger college mates and friends must have advised him to do so.
Basically what I’m trying to get across to you all that he is not the romantic type, his outlook towards life is largely based on being practical. So you may ask “Why don’t I do something special?” Well, it usually will go unnoticed, or I would be told why go through all the trouble.
Take for example the pudding I made for this post. I patiently cut out heart shapes from the jelly(not easy when the kitchen’s really hot!) and placed a heart on the pudding. The pudding was devoured without any mention of the heart bang in the middle! No ‘wow’ or ‘so sweet’! As for the appreciation of the dessert overall, “can I have seconds?”
Well that doesn’t mean he doesn’t love me. He has a different way of showing his love and care. I have to look for it and understand it from his every day actions and decisions he takes. It was his suggestion to go and see Raees, not because he loves watching Hindi movies( he’d prefer the English action ones) but because he knows that I love watching them. Choice of an Italian restaurant is not for him but more for me as I love Italian cuisine. Walks on the beach, dipping our feet in the sea, sitting at the quaint little restaurant at Cowrie Shell, taking care of me when I fall sick, ordering food when I don’t feel like cooking, carrying my bags when we travel, giving me the better seat on the plane etc. are his ways of showing his love for me.
Arranged Marriage And Love
Our is an arranged marriage and sure we’ve had our shares of ups and downs. Over the years love has grown to such an extend that it hurts to be apart for a period of time. When I was away in Bangalore preparing for my daughter’s wedding, I missed him everyday though we would skype, facetime and call every day, sometimes twice in a day.
Many may think differently, how can I marry someone I don’t know? But it has worked for generations before my mum, my grandmother. I think every effort is made to make the marriage work.
Love And Me
So for me love is when I can feel his pain, when I can sense he is thinking deeply, when I know something is bothering him, when I can’t bear to see tears in his eyes, when I can rejoice with him and share good times and bad times, I can joke with him, tease him and scold him too. We’re are poles apart in many ways but we’ve both accepted each ones passion and traits and worked around them. If that is not love than what is it? Love for us doesn’t mean roses, chocolates, candle light dinners or gifts. It is the every day little things we do for each other.
Valentine’s Day Dishes
try and make a dessert or something special for Valentine’s Day if possible. Not that we celebrate it in a big way. Here are some dishes that you may like to prepare for your loved one
Ingredients Required For Milk Pudding With Jelly
Milk – best to use full fat milk for this dessert as you want a creamy taste.
Condensed Milk – I have not used much. Just enough to give that required thickness and sweetness.
Agar Agar – I prefer to use agar agar powder. If you don’t get any and have agar agar flakes at hand, use that. Make sure to measure 2 tbsp of the flakes.
Sugar – optional. Add sugar or add more condensed milk. Taste the thickened milk before adding any more.
Water – need some to prepare the jelly. Follow the instructions on the jelly packet to know how much you need. Also need some to dissolve the agar agar.
Vanilla Extract – for flavouring. Can add cardamom powder instead.
Red Jelly – for Valentine’s Day use red jelly crystals like strawberry, raspberry, red cherry, red currant,etc. If you want to make this dessert for Holi, Diwali, etc add 3 different coloured jellies like green, red, yellow. For Christmas use red and green. I have used a vegetarian friendly jelly. Nowadays there are so many vegan/vegetarian jelly crystals available.
MILK PUDDING WITH JELLY
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MILK PUDDING:
- 2½ cups full fat milk
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1-2 tbsp sugar *
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp agar agar powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
INGREDIENTS FOR THE RED JELLY:
- 1 packet of red jelly red currant, cherry,strawberry or raspberry
PREPARE THE RED JELLY
- Prepare the jelly as instructed on the packet. Set it in a tray. You want the set jelly to be about 1"- 2" in height.
- Cut heart shaped jelly with a cookie cutter. Leave it in the fridge till required.
PREPARE THE MILK PUDDING:
- Sprinkle the agar agar powder over the water in a small pan and mix. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Mix milk, condensed milk and sugar in a deep pan.
- Put the pan with milk over medium heat till it begins to boil. Stir the milk frequently.
- Put the hot milk pan on the side.
- Heat the agar agar mixture over low heat. Stir is constantly till the agar agar dissolves completely.
- Add the agar agar mixture to the hot milk.
- Add vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour the milk into serving bowls or glasses.
- Put it the fridge for 3-4 hours till it sets.
- Decorate the pudding with the heart shaped jelly.
SECOND METHOD - MILK PUDDING WITH JELLY
- Alternatively you can add chopped jelly to the serving bowls or glasses.
- Pour the milk mixture over it. Make sure it has cooled down a bit so that the set jelly does not melt.
- Put it in the fridge for 3-4 hours to set.
- Top each set milk pudding with heart shaped jelly and serve.
- * If you are going to set it with the jelly than you may not want to add the sugar as the jelly is sweet.
- Use any coloured jelly of your choice to make this cool milk pudding. Try a rose milk flavoured one.I find its an easy pudding to make and a treat during the hot season.
- Use gelatin instead of agar agar if you like.
- Serve it with chopped fresh fruit instead of jelly.
Pin For Later
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962
This recipe is my contribution for the 79th theme – Valentine theme for #FoodieMonday #Bloghop group.