140. cauliflower soup
white and creamy
Cauliflowers are at their best at the moment. Crunchy, fresh, white and not too expensive. A good time to use in salads, palak paneer parathas or to make a soup. Healthy, easy and quick. So get your pan out and get cooking. What I love about soups is that they are filling and yet light, can add any toppings to it, serve it with breads, naan or alone, use as a starter, the options are endless. Stir fry the vegetables using butter as it adds an extra flavour to the soup. If you use a non stick pan, then you do not need too much butter.
2½ cups cauliflower florets (small florets)
½ cup diced potato
1 small white onion
3 to 4 cloves of garlic
½ cup fresh thyme, rosemary or 1 tsp mixed dry herbs
2 cups water or stock
1 to 1½ tsp salt
1 tsp coarse pepper powder
2 tbsps butter
1 cup milk
¼ cup tiny cubes of cheddar cheese
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Chop the herb finely if using fresh one.
- Heat the butter in a pan over low heat.
- Add the vegetables and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the vegetables cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water or stock and cook till the potato cubes are done.
- Liquidize or puree the vegetables using the remaining water or stock.
- Pour the soup into a pan. Add milk, salt and herbs and heat it gently.
- Add pepper and serve topped with cheese cubes.
- Add fresh cream instead of milk.
- Add croutons to the soup. Croutons are fried bread cubes. To prepare healthier croutons, cut the bread into cubes.Stir fry them in olive oil or melted butter. Put the bread pieces into a baking tray and into the oven at 150°C till it becomes crispy. This will take about 20 to 30 minutes. Turn them occasionally to bake evenly.
- Soak cauliflower florets in salted water to remove any tiny worms that might be present.
- If you find the soup too thick add little bit more of the water or milk.
You may want to check out the following :
|spinach zucchini soup|
|tomato carrot soup