Mango Strawberry Smoothie
Recipe: Mango Strawberry Smoothie
Mango Strawberry Smoothie is an easy to make, delicious, creamy, healthy and filling as a breakfast, snack or dessert option. This smoothie recipe is a simple recipe with just a few ingredients. The whole idea came about when my 11 year niece requested a simple treat she could make for her dad on Father’s Day.
My 11 year old niece has celebral palsy and that limits a lot of daily actions and movements that we take for granted. She is not able to stand on her own and use her right arm effectively. However, she never gets frustrated or disappointed but takes her challenges in her stride. With some help from an adult am sure she will be able to prepare this smoothie for her dad.
As I update this post on 27/09/2023, my niece is now 18 and just got admitted to City University London. What an amazing achievement and we all are so proud of her. In the previous years she had been invited several times by the Mayor of Barnet to elaborate on how Barnet can improve for youngsters who are physically challenged.
What Is A Smoothie?
A smoothie is as the name suggests, is a smooth thick drink usually made from fresh fruit/ vegetables with milk, water, yogurt or ice cream. Smoothie is much thicker than a milkshake. One can find flavored milkshakes that may or may not be made with fresh fruits.
Here’s a rough guideline as to what you can use to make a healthy smoothie/smoothie bowl:
Liquids can be milk, soy milk, almond or cashew nut milk, yogurt, water, juices
Fruits and Vegetables – can have either or both, according to your choice.
Good fat – peanut or other nut butters, coconut oil, avocado.
Thickener – yogurt, chia seeds, oats, banana, avocado, mango, roasted flours, cereals, etc.
Protein – milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powder, nut butters
Topping – chopped fruits, nuts, seeds, shredded coconut, spices, dried fruits, cereals, crumbled cookies
Some Smoothie Recipes That You May Like:
Try some Glowing Skin Smoothie, protein rich and healthy.
Ingredients Required For Mango Strawberry Smoothie
Strawberries – remove the leafy part, and cut the strawberries into halves if they are big. Layer them on a small tray or tin.Freeze. You don’t want to freeze them in a bag as that results in one frozen mass that is difficult to process in a blender. Keep some extra chunks on the side for topping if you want to.
Mango – peel and cut mango into chunks. Layer them on a small tray or tin. Freeze. You don’t want to freeze them in a bag as that results in one frozen mass that is difficult to process in a blender. Keep some extra chunks on the side for topping if you want to.
Honey – add according to your taste. The mango I used was very sweet so didn’t need to add any sweetener to it. Added 1 tbsp honey to the strawberry smoothie. You can use any sweetener of your choice. Maple syrup, agave nectar, brown sugar, jaggery, etc.
Cold Milk – I have kept this smoothie recipe very simple by using only milk. You can add yogurt, juice if you want to.
Rolled Oats – I added some to the strawberry smoothie to give it some thickness. Mango smoothie becomes thick on its own as mango is a pulpy fruit.
MANGO STRAWBERRY SMOOTHIE
- 6 - 8 strawberries big
- 1½ cups mango chopped
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1½ cups cold milk divided
- extra mango and strawberries for topping optional
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Cut into half and freeze them. Layer them in a tin or on a tray and not piled. Freeze for about an hour. You don't want one solid mass of strawberries.
- Freeze the mango chunks in the same manner.
- Puree the mango pieces with ¾ cup milk. Keep it on one side. Add sweetener if required.
- Puree the strawberries with rolled oats, honey and remaining milk.
- Divide the mango smoothie into 2 tall glasses.
- Pour the strawberry smoothie on top.
- Serve immediately.
- Can serve as a dessert. Add a dollop of ice cream on top.
- Garnish the smoothie with some chocolate chips, chopped nuts or seeds.
- Pour the strawberry layer on top of the mango one slowly if you want the two distinct layers. Pouring over a turned spoon helps.
- For a vegan version replace dairy milk with any plant based milk. Replace the honey with maple syrup.
- I always have some frozen fruit ready in the freezer for smoothies. Frozen fruits make the smoothies thicker and a cooler drink.
- If you use unfrozen fresh fruits then you many need to add some ice cubes before preparing the smoothie.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962