75. earthy brown delights
Most people love potatoes whether they are fried, boiled or roasted. I love roasted potatoes and they make a great side dish to accompany a pasta dish or pizzas or in place of a salad. Just a few pieces of potatoes and your stomach is full. If I don’t get baby potatoes then I just use normal baking potatoes. In Kenya I use Meru potatoes. When I am in UK I get so confused with the variety that is available, my sister in laws buy them for me. The first time I had roasted potatoes was at my kaki’s place during one of my numerous visits. Ever since then, roasted potatoes are a common feature whenever I make continental dishes. I prefer to roast them with the skin, but you can peel the potatoes if you like.
24 baby potatoes or 3 large potatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1 tsp dried rosemary or 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly to remove any mud that might be on it. If you are using big potatoes then cut them into big chunks(about 8 pieces per potato).
- Put some water to boil in a saucepan. Add the potatoes and 2 tsps of salt. Parboil the potatoes. Parboil means boiling them till they are half done.
- Drain out the water. Let the potatoes cool for a bit. Cut the baby potatoes into half.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl. Add the olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. Mix it well.
- Layer the potatoes onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake them at 180°C for 15 to 20 mins and grill it for 5 minutes so that they can become slightly brown.
- Serve them hot.
- Can use any herbs of your choice like oregano, coriander, thyme etc.
- Add red chilli flakes or chopped green chillis if you like hot food.
- Add 2 to 3 cloves of chopped garlic.
- If you boil the potatoes till completely done then after mixing it with salt, oil and herbs grill it for 10 minutes only.
- To serve as a starter, use sour cream or thick yogurt as a dip.
- To make this dish in India, I usually soak the potatoes for an hour before boiling them. If you use baby potatoes, no need to soak them.