Apple Carrot Salad
Apple Carrot Salad
Apple Carrot Salad is a delicious, crunchy, tangy and refreshing salad that is perfect as a light lunch option or as a side dish. With homemade lemon vinaigrette, this is my go to salad for picnics and potlucks. An easy salad which does not require too many ingredients.
While one can easily grate both the apple and carrot to make the whole process of preparing the salad faster, I find that if I am making it for picnics, potluck or cookouts, after a while the salad goes limp and too watery. If we are going to enjoy the salad straight away then I grate both.
Homemade Lemon Vinaigrette adds a tangy, refreshing flavour to the salad. However, if you want to prepare another dressing or use ready made ones that too is fine.
Please note: This recipe is enough for 2 as a side dish. Increase the quantities for more servings.
Sunday Funday Group
This week the members of this lovely group are preparing side dishes for barbecues/cookouts, a theme suggested by Stacy. This theme just comes in time as now the sunny days are here and hopefully we will be cooking out or hosting barbecues. This salad will feature on the family cookout in Florida coming Monday as I am told it is a holiday in the US. I improved this really old recipe for the theme. Hubby and I enjoyed it in our Magog Bay Park on Friday as the spring weather was perfect… sunny with a cool breeze.
Also with warmer weather I am trying to redo as many salad recipes as I can. Come winter and we both prefer soups and hot side dishes to salads.
First Published on 12/05/2012
The older version didn’t have any raisins and homemade salad dressing. And have improved on the photos.
I had planned for a bread recipe but unfortunately didn’t get the time to bake it. Packing the right saris, salwar khameez, makeup, jewellery for 3 upcoming wedding can be really stressful. One wedding in South Carolina, another in Houston and the last one in Nottingham. That involves a lot of travelling. And nowadays the luggage restrictions by airlines is a bit frustrating. You pay for the ticket and on top you pay for a good seat and your luggage! Business Class has simply become unaffordable. Do I pack wedding clothes or my normal clothes??? Need them both for the 6 weeks that I am going to be away from home.
My deal with hubby is ” I rather pay for the extra baggage allowance than to buy jewellery.” That way I travel with peace of mind.
Some Sides Dishes That Can Be Taken For Cookouts| Barbecues | Picnics
Check Out What Fellow Members Have Prepared:
- 45 Minute Hamburger Buns from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Avocado Salad with Fresh Herb Dressing from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Apple Salad from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Pressure Cooker Pork Dry from Sneha’s Recipe
- Quinoa Salad with Fennel & Garbanzo Beans from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Spaccatini Rolls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spinach Madeline Stuffed Potatoes from Food Lust People Love
- Sweet and Tangy Cucumber Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Potato and Fennel Fronds Salad from Cook with Renu
Ingredients Required For Apple Carrot Salad & Lemon Vinaigrette
- Apple – use red or green, any you like. I have used green apple and peeled it.
- Carrots – peel them.
- Walnuts – roast them lightly on a wide pan over low heat. Or in the microwave oven for about 1-2 minutes. Cut them into halves or pieces.
- Raisins – soak them in hot water for 2-5 minuted before adding to the salad.
- Lemon – need it for the lemon juice and the zest.
- Olive Oil – for the lemon salad dressing.
- Maple Syrup | Honey – for a vegan salad use maple syrup.
- Salt – add according to your taste.
- Black Pepper Powder – add according to your taste.
Watch How To Make Apple Carrot Salad & Lemon Vinaigrette
APPLE CARROT SALAD
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 large apple red or green
- 12-14 walnuts
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- some hot water
FOR THE LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
PREPARATION OF THE SALAD:
- Soak the raisins in hot water for 2-5 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel the apple and carrots.
- Core the apple and cut into thin strips or grate it.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp lemon juice and mix gently.
- Cut the carrots into thin strips or grate them.
- Add to the chopped apple.
- Roast the walnuts in a a pan over low heat. Make sure you stir them frequently.
- Alternately, roast them in the microwave oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Cut them into pieces or halves. Add to the salad.
- Drain out the water from the raisins and add them to the salad.
PREPARATION OF LEMON VINAIGRETTE:
- Add salt to the olive oil and mix well.
- Add pepper powder, maple syrup, lemon juice and the zest.
- Whisk the dressing well.
- Or you can add the ingredients in a jar, close it tightly with a lid and give it a good shake.
- Add the lemon vinaigrette to the salad mixture. Toss and serve. Can chill it for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Can add any nuts you prefer.
- Can use mayonnaise as a dressing if you like.
- Add fresh herbs like mint, basil, coriander if you want to.
- Use any type of apple, red or green.
- Adjust the amount of maple syrup according to your taste. I added less as raisins are sweet.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
add a comment below,
send a picture to my email firstname.lastname@example.org
tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962