686. Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
MEGA BLOGGING MARATHON -SEPT 2017
#80TH BLOGGING MARATHON
THEME: PROTEIN RICH DISHES
A Shepherd’s Pie or Cottage pie is usually a meat pie with a topping of mashed potatoes. It’s not made with any kind of pastry shell. Minced meat is prepared with some vegetables. The minced meat is spooned into a baking dish, topped with mashed potato and baked or grilled (broiled) for a while. This pie is famous in United Kingdom and very much a part of the old Pub food. I must admit I’ve never tasted the original Shepherd’s Pie but always wanted to make one but a veggie version. Many have replaced the minced meat with soya granules but I’m not a huge fan of soya. A frozen veggie packet (Artic’s) which I bought in Montreal, suggested adding vegetables with mushrooms to make a vegetarian version of the pie. I decided to add lentils also to make it into a hearty protein rich meal.
Protein sources in this recipe are lentils, peas, beans, corn, mushrooms, milk and potatoes (yes even potatoes contain protein).
By no means am I claiming or supporting any sort of fad diet that are the latest craze in the fitness world. I’m just trying to include non meat non fish dishes from which you can get your protein source.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into big chunks.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the potatoes and cook till done but not overcooked.
- Drain out the water.
- Heat butter and milk together in a pan over low heat till the butter melts.
- Mash the potatoes with a masher and slowly add the milk, mixing it until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Add more salt if required.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and stir fry till they become soft.
- Add garlic and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the mixed vegetables, salt and water.
- Cover and cook till the vegetables are done but not overcooked.
- Add mushrooms. Stir well and cook till they become soft.
- Add cooked lentils, paprika, pepper powder, thyme and sprinkle the flour over it.
- Mix well.
- Add the tomato puree. Mix well and let it cook over low heat till the mixture becomes thick.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Spoon the filling into an oven proof deep baking dish.
- Level it out.
- Spoon the mashed potato over the filling. Make a smooth layer by spreading the mashed potato into an even layer with a spoon or spatula.
- Sprinkle pepper and chilli flakes over it.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or till the potato layer begins to brown a little.
- Serve it hot.
- Use vegetables of your choice.
- Use soya granules instead of lentils.
- I cup uncooked lentils gives 2 cups of cooked lentils. I cooked it in salted water.
- For a quicker version, broil or grill the pie. Before you do so, heat the filling and spoon it into the baking dish. Add the mashed potato layer and grill or broil.
- For a vegan option replace the butter with oil and use nut milk.
- For a gluten free option use millet flour instead of wheat flour.
Day 1 – Mixed Dal Paddu