Homemade Cold Coffee
Event: Foodies_Redoing Old Posts
Recipe: Homemade Cold Coffee
Homemade Cold Coffee is a refreshing, creamy cold drink to enjoy during the hot summers. It is so easy to make it at home. Best part is that you can add or reduce ingredients according to your taste and not pay a hefty price for a Cafe drink that is quarter liquid and three quarter foam! This summer, I’ve been indulging in this cooling treat, sometimes with ice cream or whipped cream.
First Time I Made Coffee
I followed the recipe ditto from Tarla Dalal recipe book and served it to my family one hot Sunday afternoon. Everybody loved it. Back then we didn’t have Starbucks, Costa or any of the fancy coffee cafes we have these days. That first batch of cold coffee was made about 42 years ago. Since then it is as though it is my signature dish! Whenever I visit my aunt or uncle, they request I make Cold Coffee, Mayuri Style for them.
Valentine’s Day Treat
Valentine’s Day was very hot and hubby dear was expecting to find iced tea, cold fresh juice or something coo and refreshing ready in the fridge. He didn’t find anything so I asked him to have a cold glass of Ribena. He didn’t want to have that so I thought of Nimbu Pani. He didn’t want that too.
It is baffling how some people love to beat around the bush when they have something specific in their minds and cannot speak it out forthright. The conversations went towards all deviations but the direct path…. “It’s been so long since we have had that nice cooling cold coffee, home made, not the ones we find at cafes, watery and with blobs of cream. Ummm I can taste it in my mouth. I wish somebody could make it for me”.
I look around to check if he is talking to someone else, but that can’t be as it is just the two of us at home. “If my mum was here she would have already be making it as I speak.” That too didn’t make me rush to the kitchen because I was waiting for the direct request …may we have some cold coffee. It took nearly 5 minutes of beating around the bush till I finally threw my hands in the air and said “I’ve got the message”.
THE GROUP – FOODIES_REDOING OLD POSTS
This group started by Renu who blogs at Cook With Renu, helps us to redo old posts, be it with photos, writing or even updated versions of the recipe.
With hot and humid days it is time to enjoy refreshing cold drinks. Cold Coffee is something hubby and I love. Finally, got down to taking better photos and made a video for this recipe.
First published on 18/02/2014 updated on 05/08/2022
Some Refreshing Summer Drinks You May Like
Ingredients Required For Homemade Cold Coffee
- Brewed Coffee – you have the option of using instant coffee but overtime I’ve moved away from it and brew coffee with a ground mixture. There are two ways you can do that.
Method 1 – brew hot coffee in your coffee maker. Allow it to cool. Refrigerate the brewed coffee till is is cold.
Method 2 – add ground coffee to normal tap water. Mix. Cover and let it brew overnight in the fridge.
I prefer the second method. However, if you want to make it instantly then use Instant Coffee Powder. However, the taste does differ.
- Chilled Milk – I use dairy milk. Feel free to use nut milk, soy milk, etc.
- Crushed Ice Cubes – take ice cubes and arrange them on a clean kitchen towel. Cover it with the towel and hit them with a pestle. This will crush the ice cubes into smaller pieces. Unless your blender allows you to crush ice cubes, don’t crush whole cubes as it will ruin the blades and can result in a broken blender jug especially if it is made of plastic. Luckily, my fridge automatically crushes ice.
- Cocoa Powder – unsweetened.
- Sugar – add according to your taste. Use white or brown sugar. Can use maple syrup or honey too.
- Cinnamon Powder – add according to your taste.
- Topping – can serve with ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce.
Watch How To Make Cold Coffee At Home
HOMEMADE COLD COFFEE
TO BREW THE COFFEE
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup roasted ground coffee
FOR COLD COFFEE
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 cup crushed ice cubes
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2-4 scoops ice cream vanilla, chocolate or coffee
PREPARATION OF COLD BREW COFFEE
- Add water in a jug.
- Add the ground coffee.
- Cover the jug and allow it to brew overnight for 10-16 hours in the fridge.
PREPARATION OF COLD COFFEE
- Strain the cold brew coffee using a fine mesh strainer or the coffee filter.
- Add the cold brew coffee, ice cubes, milk, cocoa powder, cinnamon powder and sugar into a blender.
- Blend till the ice gets crushed.
- Pour the cold coffee into 2 serving glasses.
- Top it with 1-2 scoops of ice cream of your choice.
- Alternately, top it with whipped cream and chocolate or caramel sauce.
- For instant preparation, use instant coffee powder. Add about 2 -3 tsp coffee powder.
- Prepare the coffee the usual drip way or in a French Press. Allow it to chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Add ice cream of your choice, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, etc.
- Don't crush whole ice cubes in a standard blender. It will ruin the blades or break it. Use a pestle to crush the ice cubes. Wrap them in a clean kitchen towel or cotton cloth bag before hitting with the pestle.
Pin For Later:
A Little Request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
add a comment below,
send a picture to my email email@example.com
tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962