Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you’ve had a hearty breakfast then its less likely that you will binge on unhealthy snacks in between meals. Making kids have breakfast is a big task. Sometimes its best to give them some healthy muffins which are loaded with fruits and nuts.
The baking bug does not stay away from me for too long. Have been busy baking some of the already blogged recipes. I had this muffin recipe in my book for quite a while and I finally got down to baking them yesterday. Its amazing how quickly one can make muffins once all the ingredients are at hand.
The muffins turned out just right…. soft, not too sweet and healthy. Ideal carry away breakfast for all those who don’t have time to eat breakfast… walk to work and eat them (personally I can never do that), eat it in the train or the car. Have them for break, its filled with loads of all good things. Kids will love a muffin in the lunch boxes. Please don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients.
makes about 24 small ones or 12 medium ones
1½ cup wheat flour (atta)
½ cup of quick cooking oats
¼ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
¼ cup flaxseed powder, coarse
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup dried blueberries
¼ cup chocolate chips
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda bicarbonate (baking soda)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp salt
1¼ cups milk
1 tbsp cider vinegar
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup maple syrup
extra oatmeal for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the muffin tray with cake cups.
- Mix milk and vinegar and let it sit for 10 -15 minutes.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, soda bicarbonate, cinnamon powder and salt together.
- Add the flax seed powder, oats, chocolate chips, raisins, blueberries and walnuts.
- In another bowl add all the wet ingredients (milk vinegar mixture, maple syrup and oil) and sugar. Whisk very well.
- Add the dry ingredients and just mix till the flour becomes wet. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter three quarter full into the lined muffin tray.
- Sprinkle oatmeal on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20- 25 minutes. Prick with a fork or toothpick in the middle of the muffin. It should come out clean if the muffins are done.
- Remove the muffins from the tray and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Use either dark or milk chocolate chips. Instead of chocolate chips add nuts.
- Use nuts of your choice.
- I prefer to roast the flax seeds before grinding.
- Use honey instead of maple syrup.
- Replace the brown sugar with a healthy sugar like jaggery, palm sugar or coconut sugar.
A little request:
If you do try this recipe then please either
- add a comment below,
- send a picture to my email email@example.com
- tag me as #mayuri_jikoni on Instagram
- or tag me on Twitter as #Mayuri1962