516. Chocolate date mousse
It’s an Honour
Last Saturday was an exciting day for me. I was installed as the 19th President of my very hardworking and active Club, Lions Club of Mombasa Bahari. Since the Club was chartered, I have been a part of it. First as a spouse and then as a Lion. The best part was that one of my good friend Lion Tasneem Dar, performed the ceremony of installing me along with my board members. My best friend Daxa and Jitu were there to share the milestone in my life along with my brother in law and sister in law. The surprise moment was when my hubby Ajay, sang a song for me. I was feeling shy, happy and loved all at the same time. Was I nervous? Yes, had butterflies in my stomach the whole afternoon. Its a big responsibility to run such a fine Club, but then we have wonderful members, helpful and active. Right from medical to educational to donations, some activity or the other takes places practically every month. The Club climbs to greater heights under each President. For my year too I am hoping to achieve a lot more to take the Club one rung higher on the ladder of service to Humanity. So this year you will probably get to hear a lot more about my Club and the activities.
For such a special occasion it had to be celebrated with something sweet. I made a simple but absolutely delicious chocolate date mousse at home. Thank you Aarthi of Yummy Tummy for the recipe.I made just a few changes, added more chocolate and flavouring. Hope you enjoy this dessert. It’s eggless and the only sugar that is present in it is from the chocolate. None is added to it. The month of Ramadhan meant that we got really nice sweet dates.
CHOCOLATE DATE MOUSSE
Recipe source: Yummy Tummy
250g chocolate (both dark and milk)- the total weight of both should be 250g
200g dates (approx 22-24) – pitted
½ cup fresh milk
2 cups whipping cream (chilled)
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cardamom powder
For topping :
fresh fruits or grated chocolate or chopped nuts
- Heat the milk in a pan over medium heat.
- Pit the dates and add to the hot milk.
- Cover and let the dates soak in the milk for 1-2 hours.
- Process the dates in a food processor to a puree or paste.
- Melt the chocolate. Heat water in a small pan. Put the chocolate in a glass or steel bowl that sits well on the pan. Stir constantly till the chocolate melts.
- Add the date paste to the melted chocolate. Add vanilla extract and cardamom powder.
- Mix well.
- Whip the cream till it reaches the soft peak consistency or till its fluffy.
- Add the cream to the cooled down chocolate and date mixture. Fold in the cream gently.
- Spoon the mousse into individual serving bowls or containers.
- Let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 – 4 hours or till it sets.
- Serve with any of your favourite toppings or on its own.
- Pit the dates before you measure them.
- I used more of dark chocolate than the milk one. You can take half of both or as you prefer.
- Don’t use the dried out dates.You don’t want the mousse to be gritty.
- While melting the chocolate, make sure the bowl does not touch the hot water. Its the hot steam from the bottom that helps to melt the chocolate. Or you can melt it in a microwave oven.
July 30, 2015 at 3:26 pm
Nice recipe of chocolate date mousse.
July 30, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Many congratulations and you will take it to the new high…nice dessert to celebrate the happiness
July 30, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Congratulations on becoming the President of Mombasa Lion's Club.A big responsibility which I am sure you will handle very well. And how romantic of your husband to sing a song for you. Kya baat hai? You must tell us what song hubby sang!! I like the sound of your dessert too. It looks great. No wonder hubby sings to you when you make such good food.
July 30, 2015 at 8:24 pm
Congratulations dear..the chocolate mousse looks too good…
August 4, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Thank you Shobha. What I liked about this recipe is that its not too sweet. The sweetness is from the chocolate and dates only.
August 4, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Thank you so much Amrita.
August 4, 2015 at 6:44 pm
Thank you Mina. Do try the recipe it is truly tasty if you like dates and chocolate. Hubby sang the song 'help me make it through the night' (by Kris Kristofferson) 🙂
August 4, 2015 at 6:45 pm
thank you so much Gloria.
May 6, 2019 at 3:52 am
what a simple but luscious dessert – looks so delicious!
May 7, 2019 at 4:08 pm
May 6, 2019 at 8:11 am
Loved this chocolate mousse with natural sugar with the beautiful texture .. will try adding dates to mousse recipe.
May 7, 2019 at 4:07 pm
May 6, 2019 at 9:29 am
So nice to read about the 2015 memories and your achievements. Husband singing for you is a huge bonus though and needs to be celebrated with an apt dessert. I am not a chocolate fan myself but my husband is a huge fan. Mango Mousse is light and airy and it is something I enjoy on occasions. The dates add a great touch, healthy sugar too to the dessert.
May 7, 2019 at 4:07 pm
Thank you so much Vidya.
Renu Agrawal Dongre
May 6, 2019 at 11:19 pm
That was a proud moment for you and what a delicious way of celebrating it with Sugar-less chocolate date mousse. I am trying this for sure for my kids and for myself.
May 7, 2019 at 4:04 pm