SWEET CORN AND MUSHROOM SOUP
Corn & Mushroom Soup is a flavourful, filling, vegan,easy to make and versatile soup. Add noodles, tofu, vegetables of your choice and you have a new soup in a jiffy.
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup sweet corn cooked
- ¼ cup french beans finely chopped
- ¼ cup carrot diced
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 2- 3 cloves of garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste or thin slivers of ginger
- 1-2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 cups water or stock
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ - 1 tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- some spring onion chopped for garnishing
Mix cornflour in a ¼ cup of water and keep on the side till required.
In a deep pan heat the oil over high heat.
When it is hot, add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and french beans. Stir fry for a minute or two.
Add mushrooms and sweet corn. Stir fry for 30 seconds or so.
Add the water or stock. Bring the soup to a gentle boil.
Add the cornflour mixture, stirring the soup all the time. Stir till it begins to thicken slightly.
Add salt, soy sauce, vinegar and chilli sauce. Mix and serve.
Serve with some extra soy sauce and chilli sauce on the side.
I didn't add spring onion as I didn't get any at the time of taking the photos.
- Don't overcook the vegetables. Once the soup begins to boil, add the cornflour, mix till it thickens and take it off the heat.
- To maintain the crispiness of the vegetables serve the soup immediately.
- I used my homemade garlic chilli sauce or chutney. You can buy any chilli sauce from the market.
- Add any vegetables that you may have at home like zucchini, broccoli, celery, etc.
- If you use stock and it has salt, then adjust the amount of salt required.
- Vegetables cut into smaller size means that the cooking time is less. Larger veggies take longer to cook.