Bruschetta is a classic Italian antipasto or appetizer dish. It is an easy dish to put together at home with some rustic bread slices, tomatoes, olive oil, herbs and garlic.
- 12 slices of bread
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 small onion about 1/4 cup chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander/cilantro finely chopped
- 8-10 basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
Heat oil in a pan over low to medium heat. When it becomes a little hot, add the garlic.
Saute for a few seconds, till the garlic gives out an aroma and is light pink in colour.
Take the pan off the heat.
Switch on the broiler to hot.
Cut the bread into slices that are about ½ inch thick.
Brush the slices with the garlic infused olive oil.
Arrange them on a baking tray.
Allow the bread to toast under the broiler or grill for 5 minutes or till lightly toasted.
Remove the bread slices from the oven.
PREPARATION OF THE TOPPING:
PREPARATION OF THE APPETIZER:
Arrange the toasted bread slices or bruschetta on a serving tray.
Top them with the topping.
Drizzle the remaining garlic infused olive oil over the topping.
Sprinkle some parmesan cheese.
Alternately, serve the toasted slices and topping separately. Guests can add the topping on their own.
- Add chopped green chilli for a different taste.
- Remove the pulp if you are using normal tomatoes. Use the pulp up in a soup, dal, curry, etc.
- Replace parmesan with cheddar, mozzarella, feta, etc. Any cheese of your choice.
- Add fresh herbs of your choice.
- Toast the bread on a hot pan/skillet if you don't want to use the broiler or grill.
An excellent accompaniment to a plain soup or stew.