Mexican Salad is a great, healthy salad with flavours from Mexican staples like beans, corn, cilantro, tomato and spices. Enjoy it as a light meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes mins
Cook Time 15 minutes mins
Total Time 25 minutes mins
Course Light Meal, Salad
- ½ cup boiled red kidney beans
- ½ cup grated carrot
- 1 big tomato cut into chunks or about 12 baby tomatoes
- ½ cup boiled or roasted corn kernels
- ¼ cup bell pepper, roasted and chopped
- ¼ cup spring onion chopped
- ¼ cup cheese cubes
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander/cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds roasted
- some tortilla chips
TOMATO SALAD DRESSING:
- ¼ cup thick tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder or smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
Roast the cumin seeds in a pan over low heat, stirring it constantly till it starts to turn brown.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Cut the bell pepper into half. Remove the seeds and stalk. Smear the top part with olive oil.
Place it on a baking sheet, cut side down. You need only half of the bell pepper. Can add more if you want to.
Cut 2 tomatoes into halves. Place on the baking sheet with cut side up.
Brush lightly with olive oil.
Let the pepper and tomatoes roast for 15- 20 minutes or until spots appear on the skin of the pepper.
Let the bell pepper and tomatoes cool down.
Remove the skin of the bell pepper and chop.
Puree the tomatoes without any water for the dressing.
Mix all the salad ingredients into a bowl.
Mix the dressing ingredients in another bowl.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately or serve the dressing on the side.
Serve with tortilla chips on the side or arranged at the edge of the salad.
- Can use raw pepper if you like.
- Instead of spring onions can use white onion.
- Use cheese of your choice.
- Can use canned tomato puree.
- Add avocado if you want to.
- Use a dressing of your choice.
Keyword how to prepare mexican salad, mexican salad recipe