PAPAYA LEMON JAM
Papaya Lemon Jam is a delicious, pectin free, easy to make condiment. It actually is the best way to use up papaya that is totally bland.
- 1 kg ripe papaya chunks approx 2 cups
- ½ -⅔ cups sugar
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest,grated lemon rind
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ cup water
Put papaya chunks, water and sugar in a pan over low medium heat.
Mix till the sugar melts.
Mash the papaya once it becomes a little soft. I didn't mash it to a smooth puree. I left it a bit coarse.
Add the lemon zest and let the mixture simmer over low heat till it becomes thick.
Make sure you stir the mixture as you don't want it to stick to the pan or get burnt.
The mixture will become thick in about 20-30 minutes.
Add lemon juice and cook it for a further 3-4 minutes.
Add cumin powder and stir well.
Put the jam in a clean sterilized jar.
- Sterile the bottle in the oven or microwave oven before adding jam.
- Remove the fibre and seeds well from the papaya.
- You can add cinnamon or cardamom powder instead of cumin powder.
- I used only ½ cup of sugar as I don't like overly sweet jams.
- I store the jam in the fridge as it is hot in Mombasa. In a cooler place will stay at room temperature for a week.
- Or store it in the fridge.