KODHA NU SHAAK/ PUMPKIN STIR FRY
Kodha Nu Shaak/ Pumpkin Stir Fry is a simple, but very flavourful way of preparing an easy side dish or sabji, Gujarati style. Served hot with some roti or paratha and a dal it is a complete meal.
- 4 cups pumpkin cubes approx 700g after removing the skin
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 - 2 chillis sliced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder optional
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Heat the oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
When it is hot, add cumin seeds.
Add chopped chillis and ginger and fry for a few seconds.
Add turmeric powder if the pumpkin is pale in colour. If it is deep orange then there is no need to add it.
Add the pumpkin cubes and salt.
Mix well and cover the pan. Lower the heat and let it cook till it is just done.
Keep and eye on it as you don't want to pumpkin to overcook.
Mix in the lemon juice and garnish with fresh chopped coriander and serve with hot rotlis or parathas.
- I used fresh red chilli to make the sabji appear colourful.
- Can use thinly sliced ginger if you like.
- Add 2 tbsps of water if the pumpkin takes too long to cook.
- If you are not serving the sabji immediately, take the cover off and cover it with a net cover. You don't want mushy pumpkin. Heat it up before serving.