BEETROOT GRAPE SALAD WITH LEMON VINAIGRETTE
Beetroot Grape Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette is a delicate balance of flavours - sweet, tangy and salty. This salad is not only colourful but very tasty and filling too.
- 2 medium beetroots
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked
- 1 cup grapes preferably seedless
- ½ cup feta cubes
- handful salad leaves, baby spinach
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds roasted
- 12 mint leaves fresh
FOR LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Wash the beetroots and trim the ends.
Wrap them in foil.
Place them on a baking tray.
Bake for 30 minutes. Larger beetroots will take longer time to roast.
Remove the roasted beetroots from the oven. Open up the foil and allow the beetroots to cool down.
Peel the skin off. Cut the beetroots into bite size cubes.
PREPARATION OF THE SALAD
Wash and wipe the grapes. If they are small leave them whole or cut into halves.
Roast the sunflower seeds lightly in a wide pan over low heat.
Add them to a big bowl. Add the diced beetroots and grapes.
Add salad leaves, mint, chickpeas and feta.
PREPARATION OF LEMON VINAIGRETTE
Add all the ingredients in a bowl or a jar.
Whisk if using a bowl. If you're using a jar like I do, shut the lid tight and give it a good shake.
- Can boil and peel the beetroot if you don't want to roast them.
- I usually roast extra beetroots when I'm baking bread or cake. The cooled down beetroots keep well at least for a week. The roasted beetroot comes in handy for so many different dishes.
- Replace chickpeas with beans of your choice.
- You can use canned chickpeas. I usually soak and cook a big batch and keep them in the fridge.
- Use salad leaves of your choice.
- Add herbs to the vinaigrette. I didn't add any as I added extra mint in the salad.
- Add a sweetener of your choice to the vinaigrette.