AMARANTH FRUITY PUDDING/ RAJGIRA KHEER
Amaranth Fruity Pudding/ Rajgira Kheer is a healthy, filling, nutritious, creamy pudding that can be enjoyed as a dessert or as breakfast. Loaded with nuts and fresh fruits, it is an absolute treat.
- ½ cup amaranth seeds
- 1 cup milk
- 1-2 tbsp sugar, date syrup, honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios
- ½ tsp cardamom or cinnamon powder
- 1 cup mixed fresh fruit of your choice
Put amaranth in a sieve and wash it under a running tap.
Pour milk into a pan and put it over medium heat.
When the milk is hot, add the amaranth seeds.
Let the mixture simmer over low to low medium heat for 20-25 minutes or till the milk is reduced to half the quantity. Remember to stir the mixture frequently.
Add sweetener of your choice. Mix well.
Take the kheer or pudding off the heat and let it cool.
Add the chopped fruits and cardamom or cinnamon powder. Mix well.
Garnish with chopped nuts.
You can serve this at room temperature or cold.
I prefer cold pudding/ kheer so I kept it in the fridge for 2 hours.
- You can add 2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk, date puree, coconut sugar, honey or jaggery instead of sugar.
- Add fresh fruits of your choice like mango, banana, berries etc.
- Can serve it hot as a porridge for breakfast.
- For vegan option cook the amaranth in almond, cashew milk or coconut milk.
- Can also cook it in water.