BABY CORN MANCHURIAN
Baby Corn Manchurian is crispy fried baby corn in a sweet, spicy and sour. Insanely delicious, it is usually served as a starter or as part of a main dish with either rice or noodles.
- 10 baby corns
- 1 tsp salt
- enough water for boiling
- oil for deep frying
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 medium onion sliced or cubes
- 1 small green or coloured sweet pepper cut into quarters
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 2 to 3 green chillis sliced
- 1 inch ginger cut into thin sticks
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour or rice flour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp coarse pepper powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli sauce
- ½ cup tomato puree
FOR THE BATTER:
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 -4 tbsp water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- pinch of soda bicarbonate baking soda
- 3 tbsp chopped spring onion for topping
PREPARATION OF FRIED BABY CORN:
Wash the baby corn and cut it into half.
Put some water to boil and add a tsp of salt to it. When it begins to boil, add the corn. Cook for 3 minutes or till its just done.
Drain out the water and keep the corn on the side to cool.
Heat the oil for frying in a wok, frying pan or karai over medium heat.
In the meantime get the batter ready by mixing the batter ingredients.
Add water little at a time as you don't want a runny batter. It should be thick enough to coat the babay corn.
When the oil is hot, dip the baby corn pieces in the batter and fry them. Fry them till they become golden brown.
Remove and place them in a colander or on a kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
PREPARATION OF THE SAUCE:
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wide pan.
When it becomes hot, add onion and pepper and stir fry for 1 minute over high heat.
Add ginger, garlic and chillis. Stir fry further for a minute or so.
Mix water, soy sauce,vinegar, chilli sauce,tomato puree, salt, sugar and cornflour in a small container.
Add fried baby corn and pepper powder to the onion mixture. Mix well.
Add the soy sauce mixture and quickly mix the vegetables.
Garnish with chopped spring onion and serve immediately.
- Use good vinegar like cider, wine or rice vinegar. If you use vinegar substitute you will get a very sharp acidic taste.
- The same method can be used to make cauliflower, mushroom and paneer machurian. If you are using cauliflower, cook it in salted boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Keep the fried corn ready ahead. Just before serving, stir fry it.
- I used my home made chilli sauce. You can use any.