Garlic and Tomato Chutney
Garlic and Tomato Chutney, is a simple, spicy, packed with flavors, versatile homemade chutney. It can be enjoyed with any Indian Snack or Farsan as we call it in Gujarati.
- ½ cup fresh garlic (approx 100g) minced
- 1 cup fresh tomato puree thick without water
- 2-4 tbsp red chilli powder
- ½ cup oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp salt
Take 3-4 tomatoes. Chop them up roughly and puree without any water.
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
Add mustard and cumin seeds.
When the seeds begin to sizzle, add mincced garlic. Lower the heat.
Saute the garlic for 2-3 minutes.
Add red chilli powder and mix well.
Add tomato puree and salt. Mix well.
Allow the mixture to simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Th emixture should become thick and you'll see oil around the sides of the mixture.
Take the pan off the heat. Allow the chutney to cool down before serving.
Store in an airtight jar in the fridge. Stays fresh for a month if enough oil is used.
- If you use less oil then the chutney stays fresh for only 2-3 days.
- Add more hot oil. You can use the oil on its own as garlic oil for pastas, pizza or any dish.
- Add red chilli powder according to your taste.
- I pureed the tomatoes with the seeds and skin.