Handvo, is a famous Gujarati savory snack that is baked. Grated bottle gourd, fresh fenugreek and other vegetables are added along with spices to the lentil rice batter. Handvo is mostly enjoyed as a snack but we love to have it for dinner.
For The Handvo Batter:
- 2 cups rice
- ¾ cup yellow moong or chana dal
- ¼ cup split pigeon pea lentil
- 1 cup sour yogurt
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¼ cup semolina or cornmeal
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 cups chopped fresh fenugreek
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 - 3 cups lightly packed grated bottle gourd
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp clove powder
- ½ tsp soda bicarbonate baking soda
- 2 tsps salt
- 2 to 3 tsps sugar
- 2 tsps ginger paste
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder
For Tempering (vaghar):
- ¼ cup oil
- 4 to 6 cloves
- 8 to 10 peppercorns
- 2 one inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds methi
- ¼ tsp carom seeds ajwain
- 1 to 2 whole dry red chillis optional
- ¼ tsp asafoetida hing
Topping and Greasing:
- ¼ cup sesame seeds tal
- 2 tbsp oil
Preparation of The Handvo Batter:
Soak rice and lentils separately for 6 to 8 hours in lukewarm water.
Drain out the water, wash the rice and lentils separately in a sieve.
Process the rice and then the lentils in a food processor into a grainy and coarse consistency. Add just enough water to process the rice and lentils.
Mix both the pastes.
Add yogurt, warm water and ¼ tsp methi seeds to the mixture and mix well.
Cover the mixture and leave it to ferment in a warm place for 6 hours.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Add semolina, vegetables, salt, sugar and spices except for the baking soda.
Mix the batter well.
Heat oil for tempering in a small pan.
When it is hot add cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, methi, dry chillis, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, carom seeds and finally hing.
Pour the tempered oil into the batter and mix it well.
Finally add soda bicarbonate and mix well.
Grease a tray about 16X12 inches with 2 tbsp oil.
Pour the batter into the tray and level it out with a spoon. The batter should be a bit runny.
Sprinkle the sesame seeds over it.
Put the tray into the hot oven and bake the handvo for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes increase the temperature to 200°C and bake further for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the top to becomes brown or place it under the hot grill or broiler for 5 minutes.
Remove the handvo from the oven.
Let it cool down completely in the tray before you cut it into pieces.
Serve with nice masala tea or milk.
- Add grated cabbage instead of doodhi or a bit of both.
- Add finely chopped spinach (palak).
- For a more crunchier top, drizzle some extra oil on top before baking.
- Adjust the amount of spices according to your taste.
- The size of the tray is just a guidance, use 2 small trays or any you prefer. As I mentioned before, depends on how thick or thin you want the handvo to be.
- Add grated zucchini along with the doodhi.