MOONG DAL KHICHDI
Moong Dal Khichdi is a wholesome, comforting and nutritious meal. Enjoy it with some vegetables, kadhi, papad and sliced onion.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup moong dal with the skin
- 6 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 inch ginger cut into thin strips or paste
- 1 green chilli finely chopped or paste
- 1 - 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp ghee/oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 dry red chillis optional
Mix the rice and lentil. Wash it thoroughly in a big sieve.
Put the rice and lentil into a bowl. Add the measured water to it and let it soak for about half an hour.
Heat the ghee in a deep saucepan.
When its hot, add cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and red chillis.
Add the ginger, garlic and chilli. Saute for a few seconds.
Add the turmeric powder and the rice mixture along with the water.
Add the salt and mix well.
Partially cover the pan and cook the rice over medium flame till done.
- If you use the rice cooker, heat oil/ghee in a small pan. Add the spices, stir fry ginger, garlic and chilis. Add the rice mixture, salt and turmeric powder to the rice cooker. Add the stir fried mixture to it. Mix well and switch on the cooker.
- Instead of moong dal with the skin, use the yellow moong dal or tuvar dal.
- To make it into a wholesome meal, add big chunks of potatoes, carrots and some peas before cooking the khichdi.
- For a slightly more gooey khichdi add 1/2 a cup of extra water.
- If you want to use a pressure cooker to cook the khichdi, allow it to cook for 1 whistle over medium heat.
- Can add onion. Stir fry it till its soft before adding garlic, ginger and chillis.